20 Questions Part 1

Chapter Ten

I sat alone in my room, blaring The Pretty Reckless through my headphones and stared at a blank piece of homework. I had to get something put down so I didn't look like the average teenaged delinquent. Of course that was going to happen no matter what when Carl's plan went into motion, except I'd be a runaway teenaged delinquent.

I jotted down random numbers, finishing just as my door burst open. I didn't have to look to know it was Dahlia.

"Your boyfriend is here." She sneered. I rolled my eyes, putting a hand to my head. How had I forgotten Peter's attempt to 'tolerate' me?

I internally killed myself and stood, meeting Dahlia's gaze. Her tanned face paled, and general worry flooded her blue eyes.

"Are you okay? You look like a ghost." She said, looking me up and down. I couldn't help but laugh.

"Are you worried about me?" I teased, chuckling to myself. She frowned, though her eyes still looked uneasy.

"No, of course not. I just don't want you to get me sick is all." She said, rolling her eyes as if the idea was ridiculous.

I nodded, stepping past her and descending down the stairs. I felt her gaze boring into my back before she slammed her door shut. Did I really look that bad? Bad enough that even Dahlia was concerned for my health apparently.

I approached the entryway hesitantly to find my father already standing in the doorway.

They were laughing about something to do with global warming, and my father looked like he sincerely liked Peter. Both of them glanced at me as I stepped into view, my father's eyes creasing with worry. Peter looked me up and down, a different sort of lust forming in his eyes.

"And you said you're feeling okay?" My father inquired. I nodded, giving him my biggest smile, teeth and everything. He seemed overly convinced, leaning down to kiss my forehead.

My smile turned into a real one, forgetting how comforting it was to have my father treat me like I was his little girl again. Now that he wasn't so busy maybe we'd have more time together.

Behind him, Peter frowned for a reason that was unknown, and took my hand when my father stepped back.

"You treat her like she's as fragile as a porcelain doll alright? She doesn't look to well but I'm hoping you'll take care of her." My father said seriously, pointing a thick finger at Peter. Peter put on a forced smile, nodding.

"You have nothing to worry about Sir; she will be back happy and healthy." He insisted. My father looked at him once more before leaving the entryway. Peter led me outside, and I followed on heavy feet.

The happiness I had felt just moments earlier vanished, and was replaced by the numbness I felt whenever I was near him. Peter seemed to notice this as he led me into his shiny black car. Black, fitting because that's the color of his soul.

He opened my door and I slipped inside, basking in the silence. The air was stiff, unmoving and packed until he opened his side of the door and the world seemed to start moving again.

"Red Moonlight." He said, smirking as he backed up. "Not too fancy, not too trashy."

The restaurant was exactly as Peter had described. The place was fancy and definitely expensive, yet it had sort of a country feel that only places like Texas Roadhouse could pull off. Needless to say it was comfortable, even though my muscles were stiff and my bones felt weak.