20 Questions Part 2

Chapter Eleven

I decided to take advantage of Peter's obvious mood swing.

"Earlier you said something about ranks?" I asked somewhat more confidently. Peter nodded.

"There are five ranks. Each of them has their own set of abilities and unique character traits. Some of them are affected by sunlight; others don't need as much blood etc."

"What rank are you?"

Peter looked at me, studying me for a moment before answering.

"I'm what they call a fantastic vampire." He said finally. I scoffed and he motioned to his eyes. "Silver eyes," His pointing finger moved to his hair. "Paling hair."

I nodded, still not entirely believing they called him 'fantastic'.

"What kind of powers do you have?" I asked timidly, slightly afraid of his answer. He smirked, sensing my fear.

"Extremely high levels of persuasion." He said smugly.

"So mind control basically?"

Peter shrugged.

"Technically, there are ways around it but usually no one can achieve that kind of self-control in one lifetime." He said, eyeing a man as he walked by.

I looked at the guy he was watching, noticing how the shadows in the room seemed to darken and shift as he moved past.

"Is he a vampire?" I asked, still looking at him as he sat down with his date, a young looking girl with brown curly hair. Peter nodded from the side of my vision.

"A shadow, the lowest rank." He looked away from him, obviously not threatened. "They're only dangerous to unsuspecting humans, like that girl over there. She'll probably be his dinner."

He said this casually, as if it were an everyday thing. My heart picked up in pace.

"Like kill her?" My voice trembled without my consent. Peter shrugged.

"Probably, Shadows have low self-control and little patience. They're more of a threat to humans than any other rank simply because they need so much blood and can't keep their bloodlust contained."

He chuckled, as if sharing an inside joke. I looked away, and I noticed the shadows on our table shift. My heartbeat quickened even more when I realized he was staring at me.

"Peter." I said quietly, keeping my eyes on my water. "He's looking at me."

I looked up at him and saw his smile turn into yet another frown. He glanced at the Shadow, then sat back and rolled his eyes.

"Only because you've been gazing at him like some sort of creep for the past ten minutes." Peter muttered, sighing impatiently. He picked up his keys and stood.

"Sorry." I said, standing with him. He flashed me a look of annoyance.

"Didn't I tell you to stop apologizing? Let's go" He growled as we exited our booth.

"Sorry-." I clamped my mouth shut, and Peter smiled to himself.

He took my arm and we walked quickly down the aisle. Shelly was heading our direction with my shrimp, and she looked at us oddly as we passed. I sent her an apologetic glance behind my shoulder, only to notice the Shadow standing from his table.

I turned back around, nudging Peter. He nodded at me as if to say I know and we left the restaurant. The cool night air hit me like a wave, and I breathed it in, feeling refreshed and clear.