Chapter 14: One Year

Walter and I returned to Imogen. She'd gotten Anthony to leave the crowd of bandits, giving me access to my things. It was nice to have my sword back. To know that I could properly defend myself again. I filled Imogen in on everything, and a drunk Anthony too. My past, my present, and my possible future. Although Theresa warned against it, it was time for the honest truth to come out.

"There isn't a cure for a Balverine bite!" Imogen gasped.

"That's exactly what we're scared about. This can kill her." Walter stressed.

"I . . . I lick . . . Like perty . . . Gir . . ." Anthony muttered.

"We can deal with this later. First, we need to go back to Bloodstone. I have to talk to the Shadow Court. Plus, that's where Oakvale is . . ." I bit my lip "That's where it was . . ."

The thought of Bloodstone began trailing in my mind. I'd heard it before . . . Maybe from Walter, or possibly Theresa . . .

"This Shadow Court you mentioned, it turned you immortal, correct?" Imogen asked.

"Yes. Why?"

"Maybe if they have the ability to keep you from aging, they might have a cure for a balverine bite too."

"Imogen is right. If we can get to the Shadow Court in time, they could have the ability to save you."

My stomach rolled and I let out a groan "We better hurry, or else I might try to have one of you as a midnight snack."

With that, the four of us hurried down to the docks. After an hour of miserable waiting, the ship captain arrived and Walter informed him of our urgent voyage. After a payment of 25 gold, the four of us climbed aboard the ship deck and left for Bloodstone.

The journey over the vast seas of Albion was long and harsh. The closer we got to Bloodstone, the more I felt like I would die in the process. It was awful.

Whimpering in pain, I crawled towards Walter. My hand gripped his wrist, waking him up from his slumber. Rubbing his eyes, he looked at me with pity. I could tell my current state was alarming to him, but there was nothing I could say to calm him.

"I'm sorry, Lyllianna. I should've stayed."

I stared a second more and turned back, crawling towards the corner I'd come from. Quietly, I curled up in the corner and spent the rest of the night in pain.

I woke up to Imogen's scream. Opening my eyes, I felt a strange sense of hunger. Anthony had his sword pointed at Walter and Imogen had gone to the deck.

"What's going on here?" I asked, standing up oddly.

"Bloody hell, it can speak?" Anthony gasped.

"It's Lyllianna! Of course she can speak!" Walter yelled.

"She isn't Lyllianna anymore!"

"What do you—" I spoke and looked down upon my body.

I had transformed into the cursed White Balverine. My claws long and my torso thin. Although my soul felt weak, my body felt strong.

"Walter, step aside," Anthony asked "Before this gets out of hand."

"I'm sorry, but I can't do that."

Anthony raised his sword and my mind went into a panic.

"No!" I yelled.

My body hit the floor, converting me back into my regular form. The transformation was terrible. I felt all of my bones shifting in an instant of pain and fear. Gasping for air, Walter and Anthony pulled me to my feet.