Chapter 14. Overworked

I got home and it was about two in the morning. I threw my bags and keys in the hallway and flopped onto the couch. My brain couldn't comprehend anything properly, I was drained. My eyes were struggling to stay open so I decided to just crash there for the night, it would take too much effort to move. It had now been two weeks since I got the job and I had two weeks left to get the rest of the money. I currently had just less than half of the amount but it wasn't enough. I would have to do extra hours, but at this point I don't think I could. I was physically exhausted. Having already asked for extra hours Roman made me part of the waiting team for part of the time when the place wasn't too busy.

My head was throbbing from lack of sleep and though I did love my job it just got to the point where I was just being consumed by work. I could get myself out of this; suck it up and ask my parents but then only God knows how long it would be next until I even got to see Lo again. I had almost drifted off but I felt arms slide under my body and lift me up in one sweep. I breathed in her perfume and smiled to myself as she carried me.

"What are you doing to yourself?" She whispered or at least I think she did, my head was spinning from tiredness after all.

I was in a dozed state. Totally conscious of my surroundings but couldn't exactly react. I was placed onto the soft blankets of our bed but didn't hear Lauren move anywhere. Then I felt her undo the button on my jeans as I lay on the bed. My mind was racing with questions but my body remained still which was probably for the best. She shuffled them down my legs slowly and removed my shoes before completely pulling them off. I felt my upper body being lifted up off the mattress and again my eyes were refusing to open. There was tugging on my shirt as she lifted it over my head and off.

So now I was aware that I was in my underwear. I had no idea what was happening. Was my bra even matching? I can't believe I even thought the last thing.

Another shirt was being placed over my head and Lo put my arms through it. I realised she was changing me. What the fuck was I thinking - what else would she be doing? She slid pyjama shorts on me and rolled me to one side of the bed. I heard her get under the covers but she pushed them to the side so I could get under them too. She rolled me so I was literally on top of her with my head on her chest. The cover was pulled over us and she slowly moved me so I was next to her instead.

I missed her scent. Her warmth. I was losing her to my job, to the time of day, to the world and the people who were so against everything, but maybe, just maybe this would be for the best. This way she wouldn't hurt. I couldn't live to see her live with the pain I did so maybe it was best she didn't know a thing, about my parents or my feelings for her. If we weren't together no one could be against us. On the one hand, I felt like I was lying to her but somethings are better hidden. I wrapped my arm around her waist and felt her do the same just before I was consumed by sleep.

The next morning I woke up in an empty bed. I was still knackered but I had classes, Lo did too so I wondered where she was. I reached for my phone that was on the bedside drawer and literally jumped up when I saw the time - it was 8:45 and my class started at 9:30. I was going to be so late. I still needed to shower, get some clothes ready and have breakfast. I sprinted for the bathroom and saw a towel and clothes folded neatly next to the sink. Each time she did things like this it only made me fall for her more. But I couldn't and it hurt so much.

After freshening up I got dressed in the bathroom and rushed to the kitchen, the growling of my stomach following closely. I almost had a heart attack when I saw Lo stood there sipping something from her mug.

"Jesus, you scared me!" My hand was over my heart trying to calm it down.

"Woah there. Why are you in such a hurry?"