1. cigarettes and alcohol

1991

Even though my legs were already failing me due to the staggering amount of alcohol I had consumed before the band even came on, I got into the crowd regardless. It was just some band Martha knew from school, and had turned me onto. We went to their first gig a few months ago and now we were seeing them again, only on their second gig.

The band newly christened 'Oasis' by the lead singer, I sort of knew a couple of the members through one way or another, but none of them personally.

After their set, I was sat in a booth at the back of the pub in a bundle of friends, overwhelmed and ecstatic by a cocktail of adrenaline and gin.

I stumbled over to the bar in a haze to get myself another gin and tonic, but not before noticing the crowd surrounding it. I carelessly pushed directly through the middle of the crowd, having had many years of practice from my time at gigs. The crowd began to disperse, realising they were in the way and that they needed a piss.

The lead singer, who I recognised through mutual friends and nights out, stayed behind and leaned his arm against the bar as he asked for the same as me.

"Hahah, you're Liam Gallagher aren't you?" I asked loudly and letting a laugh slip through, unable to control the volume of my voice.

"Yeah, who are you?" he said, eyes skimming over me and absorbing my small figure.

"Holly Clark, I've been to yer last couple o' gigs," I told him, "yous are alright y'know."

"Oh I think I know ya," he said, as he raised his distinctively thick eyebrows in recognition and I could basically see the penny dropping in his head, "did you go school in Didsbury?"

"Yeah mate, left in '88,"

"How old'll you be now like?" he asked.

"Turned 19 like two weeks ago or somat."

"I'm 19 in a few months still, so I was still in the year below ya," he stated, and turned to the bar again as the barman came over and placed my drink in front of me and I reached into my bag to pull out my purse.

"Nor behave, I'll get ya it," he said abruptly, and reached into his back pocket pulling out a fiver.

"Put that away now," I stopped him, equally as abrupt, gaining power in the conversation and continuing to get three pound coins out of my purse to pay.

"Nah nah nah nah nah I've just been paid for the gig and you're a pretty girl so I want to buy you a drink," he said, sliding along the bar to move closer to me.

But he was too late. I'd placed the money the bartenders hand and a scowl was painted across Liam's face.

"Thanks," I laughed, taking a sip of my G&T, "but I'm alright for now. I might get back to ya in about half an hour when I've spent all my money."

"Righto then," he said, realising that for now he'd lost, "are you gonna wait with us at least till me drink comes."

"Right," I said with a grin and took a seat on the bar stool next to where he leaned. I was actually relieved for the seat because I could feel the muscles in my legs kicking but my legs were staying still.