16. the sharks are circling

The middle of July seen Summer finally break out, and honestly, it was so hot. I got to work and I was mafting in just denim shorts and a tshirt. I went through all my usual 'opening the shop' routine a lot quicker than usual in order for me to be able to run around the corner to the Tesco Express and buy a couple of bags of ice to put the cans of coke from the back room in.

The shop had been doing surprisingly well lately, better than ever before and I'm not sure why. There was a constant stream of people throughout the day, when usually there'd only be about 8. That's why my dads been interviewing people and bought another till.

I put Primal Scream's Screamadelica on and starting flicking through this week's NME, but I couldn't focus on anything from the amount that I was sweating.

"Dad!" I shouted through to the back room, where he sat facing out the back door basking in the sun.

"What?" He said.

"Can't you get a fan or somet? I'm fuckin sweating," I told him, beginning to fan myself with my rolled up magazine.

"Alright fuckin sweatin, I'm dad. But eyar, we're not made of money," he said, and I rolled my eyes at his bad joke and the fact that fans literally only cost about a tenner. "And there's no point, we live in England, it'll be gone next week. Enjoy it love."

I went back to my business on the till as people started to come in. There were a few people handing in their CV's, which I immediately gave to my dad, and then I'd come back with a lovely icy can of coke.

"Hiya love," one lad said to me, coming to the till empty handed. "I'm meant to start work today, do ya know where Ernie is?"

"Yeah, I'll just get him son," I said with a chuckle as I never hear my dad get called Ernie. "Ernie!"

"Wha?"

"Come here, man," I said and he huffed and stood up, walking out to the front of the shop.

"Alright Arch?" My dad greeted the lad, shaking his sweaty hand.

"Alright man," Arch said smiling.

"Archie this is Holly," my dad said. "Holly this is Archie, he's helping out on the front wi' you."

"Oh class," I smiled at him, and he smiled back. He was a good looking lad like, he was tall with this slightly curly blonde hair flopping over his forehead, and he was wearing a Teenage Fanclub tshirt with a denim jacket and a pair of Vans.

"Put your stuff through there son, and Holly'll show you what do to."

Archie and my dad disappeared into the back room. My dad reacquainted himself with the wicker chair at the back door, looking directly into the sun, and Archie put his backpack down by the bucket of ice with coke cans.

"Get a drink mate, it's fuckin boiling through here," I told him, as he started walking back and he grabbed a can of coke.

The day was speeding through with another person to talk to. It was quicker to get the queues of people served as well. Archie was actually so funny though, he was so witty.

"Alright Deano," I said, as Dean from round the corner from me walked into the shop of gave us both an awkward grin before scurrying to the back of the shop. Which was odd.

"How d'ya know Dean?" Archie asked me, huffing exasperatedly. It reminded me of how I was acting when Finn walked in a couple of weeks ago and I had to be civil and professional.

"He lives round the corner," I explained, shrugging, "How do you know him?"

"Er, I went to college with him," he told me hesitantly, which had me suspicious, and I furrowed my eyebrows at him.