27. ballad of big nothing

Liam met us at the station, waiting on the platform as the train pulled in and I gave him a hug as soon as I got off.

"Have you lost weight?" he asked me as we pulled apart, and he furrowed his eyebrows as he looked at me.

"I'm not gonna lose a significant amount of weight in two days ya mong," I said and rolled my eyes.

"Have you got your belt on a smaller notch," he asked, furrowing his eyebrows as he looked at me up and down.

I looked down at the belt at the waist of my jeans.

"I have actually yeah," I said, shrugging.

Archie ran past us and I pulled my eyebrows together as Liam laughed and shouted abuse at him.

"GO ON GET RUNNING YOU FAT BASTARD!" He shouted and I laughed.

"Where's he off?" I asked Liam as we started walking to the bus stop.

"Fuck knows," Liam said, "d'ya want to come round mine? Mam's said you can have tea cos Noel's got Lucy round and Paul's at work so she said she doesn't want me causing trouble."

"Yeah," I said, smiling. We sat in the bus stop and waited for a bus to take us from the town to Burnage.

"It's been weird you not being here," he told me. "It's like I forget I have other mates when you're here. Like I know this is gonna sound weird, but you know when you get a bird and you start hanging around their mates and you don't see your mates as much."

"It is a bit like that actually," I laughed, "but you already knew Archie and Jarvis and that."

"I knew Archie and Jarvis,  and Martha I only knew a bit and I only knew Lucy through Noel," he told me. "I've hardly seen Johnsy and Parko and all that since we've met."

"I barely knew Lucy before we met to be fair," I shrugged. "And same I used to see Johnsy and Parko all the time. We should get them out more often, get them to The Beacon and that."

"They won't come round The Beacon cos they're always at The Groucho," Liam commented, putting his hands in his pockets and looking around bitterly. "I've been thinking about this lately and it does my head in. It used to be our group's thing to meet at The Beacon and now it's just me and you, and if we go anywhere as a group its to The fucking Groucho."

"You have big beef wi' the Groucho like?" I asked him. I knew he did but I didn't really know why.

"Yeah," he said, "it's bullshit. I mean it's good seeing everyone, and it's a good atmosphere and a good night out. But it's the concept of it that's bullshit and everything it stands for. The idea of this prestigious fucking exclusive club... it's fucking rubbish man, it's elitist. It's like fucking saying to people 'you're not fucking good enough, these are the people that really matter.'"

"Yeah," I said, really taking in what he was saying. He was right really. "I know what you mean, and now that you've made me think about it, I agree with you - 100%."

"That's why I don't want to make our thing be that place," he sighed, "Me and you aren't twats, and we became mates because we're not twats, and that place is filled with twats. The Beacon is for people like us - fuck The Groucho."

"Where we're from, you day drink in a beer garden, a park or your front room. Simple as," I said, agreeing with his rant and he looked at me with a smile.

We got off the bus and walked down to his, and we walked down the back alley of his house to go in through the back door of the kitchen.

"Why do you always take me through the back?" I said with a laugh.