24. moving to new york

Arch, Liam and I were stood in my dad's shop as Liam was gonna take us and our bags down to the train station to get the half 4 train. My dad had closed the shop early, partly due to laziness and partly due to us going before closing time.

"Look after her Arch," Liam laughed.

"She's a fuckin head case int she, I'm gonna have to hold her hand the whole time or somet so she don't go running off," Archie joked, putting his arm over my shoulder and pulling me into his chest.

"Eyup lads," my dad wandered through, with a certain madchester-esque swagger in his walk.

"Alright dad," I said, untangling myself from Archie.

"Alright Ernie," said Archie, and I realised that Liam hadn't ever properly met my dad.

"This is my mate Liam, dad," I told him, gesturing over to Liam, "He's giving us a lift to the train station."

"Alright son, fancy covering a few shifts over the weekend?" My dad said, and I laughed at his immediate trusting of him. "£4.50 an hour?"

"I would man, but I can't I've got to go practice with my band and I'll get the boot if I'm not there," he said laughing.

"Too bad man," said my dad, tutting, "I'm seriously understaffed this weekend. I might have to close."

"Only cos you can't be arsed to get off your arse in the backroom," I complained, and Archie agreed with me.

"I do more than you's think," he defended himself, pointing at the both of us. "Who d'ya think does all the paperwork?"

"Who d'ya think sells all your fuckin records, man?" Archie asked with a proper belly laugh.

"You've not even been doing no paperwork lately you've just been sizzling out of the backdoor," I said, crossing my arms across my chest.

"Right well are you's fucking off yet or what?" He asked, clearly feeling well and truly mugged off.

"Yeah we are actually," I said, checking my watch and seeing that it was 4. "Bye dad."

The three of us walked towards the door, and just as Liam and Arch had walked out and held the door open for me to walk through, my dad called for me.

"I just want to tell you darl," my dad said, and I sharply turned around. "I love ya to bits and I'm so proud of you, making a good life for yourself, cos you deserve every bit of it. And I know me and your mam weren't really on good terms and I wasn't there for you for the first part of your life, but I'm just glad I can be here for you now."

"Thanks dad," I said as tears stung my eyes, I walked over to him and wrapped my arms around him in a hug. "I'm only going for the weekend you know."

"I know, but it's the first time you've been to London and it's a rough world. At least Archie's going with ya," he said, as he kissed my head and let me go.

"Bye dad, love ya," I said as the door swung shut behind me.

Liam then drove us to the train station and I told him that I don't want to hear a soppy goodbye from him as well. I put my hand on his shoulder as I sat in the backseat and he looked really upset.

"I wish I was going as well," he told me, and I wrapped my arms around his shoulders from behind.

"I promise I'll take you next time and I'll ring you when I get there," I said and he sighed in reassurance, ruffling my hair.

"I'll see you Monday then," he said as my chin rest on his shoulder.

"See you Monday mate."

"HOLLY! THE TRAINS COMING!!!" Archie shouted me. Thankfully, he had gotten both of our small suitcases out of the boot of Liam's car.