Five

My head was thumping and my whole body burned in pain. I felt like hell. There was a irritating consistent beeping that made me guess I was in a hospital. I frowned, what happened?

"Winter?" A tired voice asked.

I heaved my eyes open and I was met with a concerned set of emerald eyes. Brad.

"Hey. How are you feeling?" He asked, pulling my hand into his, seeming relieved to see I was awake. Sparks danced across my skin where he touched it.

"I feel like someone just hit me with a bus" I told him honestly.

He nodded. "I'm sorry. This is all my fault. I shouldn't have left you to go in there alone ." He frowned at himself.

I suddenly remembered everything that happened. Going back to the house, Ian being there and beating me, Brad launching him into a wall and then the wolf. Jackson. Jackson turned into a wolf. "JACKSON IS A WOLF!" I screeched.

Brad cringed at my sudden outburst and sighed. "I know. He isn't the only one either. Me, Brittney and all of our friends are too. In fact most of the school is."

I gulped and my heart thumped against my chest. My hands started shaking and my breaths came out short. Brad's eyes widened when he noticed. "Winter. It's okay, you're safe. Remember what I told you last night? You're safe here. No one is ever going to hurt you again." He brushed my hair away from my face and held my cheek, gently, in his hand. "You're safe"

My heart rate and breathing slowed down and my body stopped shaking. I took a deep breath and leaned my head back against the pillow. "How do you do that?" My voice came out quiet.

Brad didn't reply he only smiled and sat back down. " There's a lot you need to know about us Winter but not now. Right now you need to rest and recover."

I shook my head. "I'm okay."

He gave me a pointed look which told me he knew I wasn't and sat on the bed beside me and gently caressed my face, causing my eyes to flutter closed. After a while, I sighed.

"I didn't tell you everything." I admitted. "I wasn't being thrown out. I was being sold" I tried to hold back tears but I just couldn't do it. "He's going to find out where I am and he's going to come after me." I cried.

He shushed me softly and continued to comfort me. "Sh, Sh,sh. No he won't. I'm going to protect you and so will Brittney, Jackson, my family and our friends. I know that you must be confused and I have a lot I need to tell you when you are well enough to hear it. But I promise you one thing. You are safe here. No one is going to hurt you ever again." He spoke softly, wiping my tears. He kissed my forehead and I found myself calming down again. I found myself wondering if he was magical or something by the way he calmed me down so easily.

"Get some rest, Winter. I'll be right here" He whispered, noticing my eyes drooping.

*****

I fell into a deep slumber and when I awoke a few hours later, Jackson, Brittney and Brad were in the room with me, as well as a plate of steaming food. I looked at the plate and grinned when I saw and smelt the delicious lasagne. My favourite.

"Hey are you okay?" Brittany asked, helping me to sit up so I could eat.

I nodded and picked up the fork. Brad smiled. "My dad thought you would like some of what we had rather than the horrible hospital food" He shuddered when he mentioned the hospital food.

I chuckled lightly. "Tell him thank you. That was so kind," I smiled.

"I can't believe what that man did to you! I swear I could kill him" Brittney screeched.