Thirty

Evangeline's POV

We waited patiently in the waiting room to hear from doctor Reeves who was treating Winter. The conversation we had before she passed out was long forgotten as i feared for her life. It was rare that heat put people into comas and if it did it usually didn't turn out too good. If she had fallen into a coma then she could die.

"Hello Alpha Bradley. I'm Dr Rivers and I am treating your mate. Please follow me to my office so we can talk more privately. Alpha Carlos you may like to accompany us."

My heart rate picked up as he said that. If they were to talk in private it couldn't be good news. Carlos squeezed my hand lightly in reassurance and pulled me to my feet. I sighed and followed the men into Dr Rivers office.

"Winter is still recovering from shifting and everything else she has been through, she is still very fragile. She is feeling the effects much stronger this time because of this. She was fully human last time she had her heat which means it wasn't possible for her to experience heat of the same intensity as a wolf. But now she is a wolf and her body is still essentially getting used to it, it was overbearing for her body so it shut down. Her body just reacted to the shock of the sudden heat . She isn't in a coma she will just be out for a few hours while the morphene works." He smiled sadly.

We all relaxed at hearing this news. "So she will be okay?" I asked, still wanting to here him say those words.

"She will be fine" he smiled.

******

Me and Carlos were lay in our bed with the television on and I couldn't keep my mind off of the miscarriage. I didn't want to tell him because I knew it would break his heart but I also knew I couldn't keep it from him anymore. He needed to know the truth.

I blew out a long sigh which caught his attention. "Eva?" He frowned. "What's wrong?"

I grit my teeth to try and keep my composure and turned the television off, turning to face him.

"I didn't want to come home I'm sure you know that." His face dropped and he sighed.

"Yes I know. I'm sorry"

"It's not just because of that" I frowned at him blaming himself. My heart rate sped up as i realised what I was about to tell him.

He pulled my shaky hand into his own in an attempt to comfort me. I smiled at him in thanks although it didn't reach my eyes.

"Before I was taken I had started to miss periods. I didn't think anything of it at first but I kept missing them and I realised when I was stuck in that cell that it could only be one thing. I was pregnant" I sighed, tears filling my eyes.

His face fell and he sat up straighter. "What do you mean you 'was pregnant'?"

"When I arrived at the other pack" i paused taking a breathe. "The doctor told me i had a miscarriage" I sobbed. I couldn't hold it in anymore.

He stood up without a word and started pacing the room with his hands clenched into fists. "Who did this to you?" He growled.

I sighed. "Alcazar"

He growled loudly and punched the wall trying not to shift, while my body shook with sobs.

"I'm sorry" I cried. "This is all my fault"

He stopped dead in his tracks and his eyes widened. He shook his head and sat down again pulling me into a hug. "No it is not your fault. Not at all. You were on our land. You did nothing wrong"

I just cried and held onto him for dear life. "Please don't let me go"

"I will never let you go Evangeline. I love you so much"

That night I cried myself to sleep but I was finally safe and sound in my own bed with my mate's arms keeping me safe 

**********

Winter

I was awoken by a horrible ache that haunted my entire body. It felt like i had been thrown under a bus or beaten worse than ever before. I forced my eyes to open and was greeted by sunlight breaking through hospital curtains.

I frowned and looked around. I thought I had fallen asleep because of my heat. Why was I in the infirmary?

I cast my eyes down to see Brad holding my hand and fast asleep on his arms which were rested on the bed. I smiled and reached over with my other hand, running it through his hair gently. He stirred in his sleep until his beautiful emerald orbs lit up as he saw me. I couldn't help but smile.

He smiled softly at me rubbing his eyes. "Are you okay?" He asked as he stood up and passed me some water.

"I feel weak and like I've been hit by a bus but besides that I'm fine" I smiled.

He nodded and pushed my hair behind my ear and caressed my cheek. My heart skipped and jumped from the love swirling in his mesmerising eyes. "I thought I was going to loose you" He whispered, an unreadable expression covering his features.

"What happened?" I asked.

He frowned and sat on the bed next to me. "You don't remember?" He questioned, worriedly.

"Well I remember that I was in heat but why am I in here?" I frowned.

"Oh right. Well you seemed to be in a lot more pain then last time. You were burning up and you passed out. I was worried that you had fallen into a coma so we took you to the infirmary. You're fragile from everything that has happened and you are still recovering. I knew I should have left you with Britt and Jackson" he sighed.

"You couldn't have known it would happen and anyway. There was no way I wasn't coming with you to take Evangeline home" I smiled.
******

Soon after, Doctor Reeves came into the room to assess me by doing a lot of tests, and he finally told me I was okay to leave. I was told to do as little as possible while I recover and slowly build up. In others words be bored for the next two or three weeks.

"Are you sure you will be okay?" Evangeline asked me as I was packing my things back into my duffle bag.

I laughed. "Sweetie, I'll be fine. I'm more worried about you. Did you tell him?"

She sighed and sat on the bed. "Yes, I told him"

I put the things in my hands on the vanity and sat next to her on the bed. "How was he?"

"Angry," she sighed. "Not at me but at Alcazar. He punched a wall and did a lot of growling while I did a lot of crying but when we calmed down he was just upset that we had lost the baby." She put her hand on her stomach as if feeling the absence of the child that was once growing their.

I sighed and pulled her into a hug. "I hope you know you have me to talk to if you need me and you have all of your friends and family around you now. You're safe now. We all are. He can't get to us any longer"

****
I placed my duffel in the trunk of our R8. It was still weird to me that I had one and i was living in such a big house and pack. My life had adjusted so much over the passed few months but I was so grateful for it. I was finally safe and had people that loved me. Everything I had always wanted.

I gave Evangeline a big hug and shook Carlos' hand. "Look after her" I told Carlos.

"Always," he grinned and kissed her forehead.

I smiled and shook a few of the others hands that we had come across and spoke to during our stay. It was a great pack. I was happy for Eva. She was safe and happy here. That's all I ever wanted for anyone.

"Call me if you need to, okay?" I made Eva i promise. She smiled and hugged me one last time before we finally left.

I waved until we were surrounded by forest and sighed in content. Brad smiled and pulled my hand into his with his other hand on the steering wheel.

"Is it finally over?" I asked, wanting to hear someone tell me.

"Yes Winter. You are safe now" he squeezed my hand lightly. "I promise."

I sighed in relief.

Safe.

♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡