Seventeen

The next few weeks passed by without any issues or drama. Everything had calmed down and I had been attending a lot more meetings and had taken to my role as Luna. The only issue I was having was balancing pack work with school work. I honestly couldn't understand how Brad did it and he did much more than me.

I was currently doing some homework for music when I lost it. My calm state that I was putting on broke and I punched the wall.

"Ouch" I hissed. "Bad idea" I mumbled.

Brittney came into the room with two Starbucks cups in her hand and passed one to me, frowning.

"What was that about?" She asked, gesturing to my hand which was now bruised

I sighed, sipping the coffee. "I can't do this"

"Your homework?" She raised an eyebrow. "Just go back to the teacher and ask for help"

"Not that" I grumbled, bouncing down onto the sofa in the living room.

Brittney frowned and sat next to me crossing her legs and waiting for me to speak.

"This Luna buisness. I'm terrible at it" I growled slightly.

Brittney shook her head and casually sipped her coffee. "You're not used to it. Thats all."

"I think the moon goddess made a mistake pairing me and Brad." I sighed. Just saying that made my heart ache. "Don't get me wrong I love him but I don't think he would have chosen me if he had the choice. He's just blinded by this bond"

"Winter, don't you dare say that. I know you are stressed and i know that you are not used to it but you seem to be forgetting the fact that you saved me from being kicked out and you forgave me for what I did. No one else did. That was you. Everyone else wasn't even going to reconsider until you gate-crashed the meeting. So clearly you are made for this Luna role."

I sighed. " Why do you have to be right all the time?"

"Because I'm amazing" She shrugged, causing a small chuckle to leave my lips.

"Seriously though Winter. You are an amazing Luna. If you are struggling with it, ask Brad to help you. That's what he is there for. To help, love and protect you."

I nodded. "You're right. I'm going to go for a walk, this house is too stuffy. You coming?"

Britt shook her head. "I'm going shopping with Mikala. Maybe tomorrow?"

I nodded and put my stuff in a neat pile as I left the room. I walked through the back garden and smiled at the delightful sight. There wasn't much space in the garden because it was rarely used so instead it had been made into basically a huge flower bed. Flowers lined a walkway to the woods behind the pack house and that was the only clear space. The rest of the garden was brimming with gorgeous flowers.

The further I walked, the calmer I felt. I adored the sweet and sour smells of the nature which was plodding along and popping out of the Earth. The soft soil crumbled lightly beneath my feet and the whole forest hummed with a calm atmosphere. It was amazing and definitely needed.

I was distracted from my calm walk when I heard whimpering. I frowned and called out to the sounds but didn't receive a reply. Deciding that it was a good time to turn back before I was eaten I turned around to walk back, only to be stopped again as the whimpers became louder. I frowned again and looked around, walking around the bushes and trees trying to see if I could find the source of the sounds and soon enough, I found a wolf curled in a ball beneath a bush, shaking.

I gasped and stepped towards the wolf, shrugging out of my coat and laying it on top of them. The wolf flinched but when it looked up to me it seemed to have a sense of recognition and it snuggled into me.

"Can you shift Sweetheart?" I asked, petting the wolf's head.

They nodded and i turned my back to allow them some privacy. I heard bones snapping and reforming and soon heard soft cries of a young girl. I turned around and gasped.

"Sophia?"

She cried louder and hugged me, tightly, gripping onto me like I was going to disappear. I sighed and moved us to sit on a nearby log and sat her on my lap, rubbing her back soothingly.

"What happened sweet heart?" I asked carefully.

"S-s-some-one at-t-t-acked m-m-me" She stuttered through tears

"Who was it darling?" I asked, carefully.

"I-I-I th-think it w-w-was a r-rouge" She cried.

I hugged her to me with her head tucked beneath my chin and wrapped my jacket around her tightly. I was about to pull my cell out of my pocket when ,suddenly, Sophia started wailing louder and i looked down at her to see her looking fearfully straight ahead of us. I frowned and followed her gaze to see three wolves that were three times the size of Sophia. I groaned loudly and pushed Sophia behind me in a protective manner.

"Shift" i demanded, pulling out the wolf bane loaded gun from my pocket.

The wolves growled but shifted anyway and I was met with three, angry looking men who were covered in scars.

"Why are you on my land?" I asked pointing the gun at the largest one.

All three of them laughed at me.

"Oh look the human bitch thinks she's one of them" the biggest laughed.

I fumbled with my gun, trying to work out how to cock it when one of them launched himself at me. The gun was knocked out of my hand and I hit the floor with a thud. I felt panic rise in my chest. I needed to get Sophia out of here but I knew she wouldn't be able to outrun the other two. I needed to distract them. 

The rouge who had tackled me rested his weight on me and pinned me to the floor with ease. 

"What do you want?" I growled out, slightly crushed beneath his weight. 

The men chuckled. "That's for us to know and for you to never find out" he chuckled. 

I growled out in frustration. 

"But first-" he continued "I'd quite enjoy this piece of entertainment, wouldn't you boys?" he chuckled. I knew exactly what he meant by entertainment , I felt bile rise in my throat at the thought of what they were going to do to me. 

I felt around desperately while they were distracted, trying to find my gun. My hands finally felt something hard, cold and round? I shrugged, that'll have to do. I picked up what I realised was actually a rock and thrust it into the head of the guy on top of me. It was enough for him to become dazed and roll off of me. 

I quickly jumped up and signalled to Sophia to run by waving my hand in the direction that the pack was in. She finally got my point and ran off, quietly. 

The other rouges sniggered at their boss, presumably for being hit by a girl. 

He growled. "Don't just stand there, you buffoons! Get her!" He screamed. 

My eyes widened. I quickly grabbed my gun which had landed not too far from where I fell and ran off in the same direction Sophia had headed. I was aware of the fact I was leading the danger to her but I also knew the closer we were to the pack, the better chance we had of getting help.

I finally managed to cock my gun as I was running, but I was soon tackled to the floor. I didn't even think as I pulled my trigger in panic, somehow managing to successfully shoot the asshole in the arm. He cried out in pain and cradled his arm. I rolled out from underneath him and carried on running, only to be tackled again by one of the others. It was the smallest of the three and it turned out he was actually a worse fighter. 

I still had my gun in my hand and hit him over the head with the butt of the gun and he rolled off me, cradling his head in pain. I took this opportunity to make sure he didn't follow us and shot him in the leg.

The boss had seen all of this and tried to run off in the other direction but one more shot of my gun stopped him. He fell to the floor with a thud, withering in pain as the life drained out of him. 

I stood there shaking violently as I realised what had just happened. I heard thundering feet behind me but assumed it was the pack. My body went into shock as I stood there frozen, starring into the distance.