7. Leave me Alone

"Monsters are real, and ghosts are real too

"Monsters are real, and ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win."

[  N I S H A ' S   P O V  ]

One last time. I owed her this much in our on and off friendship. But for past fifteen minutes, I had been rooted on my seat, staring ahead and gathering nerves to see Alina for one last time. The deepest corner of my heart desired to vomit out all the plans I had thought of, but the rational part knocked the sense into me. She was my brother's girlfriend, and without any doubt, she wouldn't be able to swallow the secrets.

The security guard darted at me with an annoyed look through the small window cut into his booth. I liked the last one better for the nature he carried but time wasn't his friend and he had to part this world with cold lips. This new security guard was pain in the ass. Spoke rudely, demanded all the details and never let anyone in unless someone from the house confirms it. For a moment, I knew it was security details for the safety of Alina.

Passing him an overly lit smile, I tipped my head down to my phone screen, tapping my fingers and then deleting the text.

A knock took me out of my dilemma. The security guard was looking at me with a sneer. Fumbling, I pressed the button, and as the window rolled down, his stinky breath framed my cheek and I suppressed a shiver.

"Girl, you wanna go in or not?"

"I'll go when I desire."

"You've been here for an hour. It's late night. Either you go in or I call Alina ma'am." I heaved a relentless breath and nodded my head. Unbuckling the seat belt, I hopped off the car and passed the car keys to him.

"One scratch and you're out of your job." All the arrogance washed through him as fear set in and he nodded. Alina had told me about his driving skills. Let's just say her brand new car had a scratch within a week.

Gulping, I veered inside the Gupta's mansion, ignoring the stillness and coldness that never changed in this house. My gaze struck on Mr. Gupta, sitting in the living room with a book in his hand. As if sensing my presence, his gaze uplifted to mine and a warm smile took his face but confusion resided in his eyes.

Taking a look at his watch, he said, "Aren't you little late, Nisha?"

Biting my lower lip, I replied, "Just need my best friend right now." He nodded his head towards the stair, not bothering to meddle in my business. Maybe that's from where Alina got the habit of respecting other people's space.

Passing him a small smile, I started to run downstairs when her father said from behind, "Be careful. She was peachy today." I waited for him to complete the whole sentence and tell me Kabir was here but he didn't, and instead he continued, "Kabir isn't here."

I relaxed and jogged upstairs to her room. Without bothering to knock on the door, I turned the knob and invaded her room like always. It had been six years since she had changed her room and took another one in the house. Maybe it was for better. Living in the room where too many harsh memories existed was hard to handle.