18. The Family I Have

*I love this song and I think it goes perfectly on Rahul and Kabir!

 [ R A H U L ' S     P O V ] 

Words. It held the power to change someone's views for you. Words gave us the power to place our feelings in front of others, words helped us to communicate. But sometimes words could be a lethal weapon; a weapon to destroy your life and kill your thinking. Sometimes words were better if they weren't utter out.

The desire to convey this to Nisha was splashing in my head, but I controlled myself and stuck myself to the chair. Why was it so hard to stay away from her? I didn't want to stay away from her. I wanted to go near her, defy the demons of my head, defy the people who held me back from her, and most of all, I wanted to change the whole of my past and wished I didn't came from a fucked up family. Why it had to be me? Why couldn't they chose someone else?

My phone rang from the other side, and few glances turned to my fucked up face. Quickly, I took out my phone and answered.

"Mr. Sinha." My grip tightened around the phone, eyes squeezed hearing the same old name. I had cut off all my relationship to this name. I was no longer a Sinha, but a Khanna even if I never felt like a family among them.

"What do you want?" I bit out.

"Time is ticking, Rahul, tick-tok tick-tok," He sang on the other side. I could hear the groaning from the back, and in an instant, all my insides squeezed up.

"A week is left," I mumbled. "I remember my promise."

"I wonder why you don't report us to police," He acted to think but answered, "Opps because you know I've people all around India and your precious--"

"Shut up!" I hissed. "Don't take her name from your fucking tongue."

He did a cruel laugh, cooling and scaring the parts of me I never knew I had. "You're impulsive like your father, but you did a smart move of joining us."

"Go to hell." I rolled my eyes, trying to act cool but from inside I was scared. Scared of what my future held for me, scared I would never be able to see my friends again, scared I wouldn't recognise myself again, and most of all, scared if I would ever get a chance to say my heart.

"Oh, I'm going," He snarled. "Don't try to over smart me, Rahul. You're well aware of the consequences."

I could hear the warning lying behind his voice. He would go after the people I loved the most, and I had the clear picture of what he would do to them. The words were imprinted in my head, and no matter how much I try I couldn't shake them off. I had to save them, most of all, I had to save her.

"Why me?" I asked. "Why me of all the people?"

"I just want my money back, and every task you'll do for me will lower your debt or we've a better choice. Nisha Oberoi." I gulped loudly as the horrors happening to her flashed across my eyes. Nisha was a fire, but at some point, a line had to be drawn and it was that line.

"She won't fetch you good."

"Who said fetch good? I need something for myself," He laughed, and I was about to fucking reply him to fuck off and never contact me again when I remembered he had all the ties to my background, my friends and family. He tracked their daily movements, their work place, their families and what not.

And I stayed silent as he insulted her in front of me, I stayed silent like my father, who stayed silent when someone would insult mom.

"Her brother will kill you," I stated, rolled the salt bottle in my hands to divert me out of the topic.