BC 1.3 - The Girl I Held

Sitting in the kitchen, I took a sip of the beer while Kabir was busy typing on his laptop. He behaved as if one minute apart from work would end all of his business, would crumble the hotels built by his father and grandfather. Or he was typically addicted to work, couldn't part himself from it even for a second.

My gaze zeroed on the bottle bestowed on the slab. The only reason they had beers was that of the company they got. Alina despised drinking. Kabir left drinking because Alina despised drinking. Nisha did light drinking, but only when she had a day off tomorrow.

"Nisha won't come tonight. She has her night shift." Kabir frowned at his phone. "And Sanchi is complaining, again."

They moved back to their Dhruv's father house two months ago, not something Sanchi was fond of but it was better for Ria. She couldn't leave Ria in the care of a nanny, and Dhruv's parents were insisting both of them to come back.

At last, Dhruv had agreed, and Sanchi didn't have the heart to separate Ria from her grandparents.

But she complained, too much.

"So?" I pushed the bottle far away. "What we are going to do?"

"First, you're going with me to Sanchi's boutique." He closed his laptop and removed his reading glasses. "Next, you're going to set your room. Guest room." He pinned his gaze to me and sighing, I nodded.

I didn't expect from him to be too cool about my relationship with Nisha. Damn, for ten years we were friends, and I had told him things nobody else knew, things that were vile and dirty, and he knew each of my girlfriends, the games I played, the time I acted as a douche and jerk.

And that made it awkward.

"Why are we going to Sanchi workplace?" I loosened my tie.

"Alina." He got up from the kitchen chair, filled a glass of water for himself and drank. "Her all clothes are given." I nodded, but I still didn't get why girls had to give away their clothes before the marriage. "And we've dinners. She needs dresses. And you know how she's when it comes to clothes." I nodded along with his words, threw the used bottle in the nearest dustbin. "So, I'm going to lessen some burden on her."

He didn't wait for my response, and drew me out of the house, and changed his car as always. His obsession with cars would never end. He bought the cars and then modified them to his liking. It was the only thing that made me see old Kabir was still there, or maybe he was always there, only I was shut down for a long time.

When we reached her workplace, I didn't wait for Kabir and strolled inside. Waving an acknowledgment to the receptionist, I reached the back of the place and found Sanchi leaning towards the table, going through the dresses.

I cleared my throat, and she uplifted her gaze, shock apparent on her face.

"Rahul, what are you doing here?" Her hair was tied in a tight ponytail that bounced as she moved towards me. It still amazed me to see her, take in how she wasn't the same drug addict I had found once in the club.

Now she was a fashion designer that she always dreamt to become.

Before I could open my mouth, Kabir joined me, "The dresses we talked about."

Sanchi nodded. "Dresses you need to choose."

He groaned, opened the buttons of his suit jacket and settled on the black couch while I meandered my gaze around the place, taking in the hangers filled with dresses, the mannequins placed at the back of the place and the pages of her designs flowing down.

She worked with an online store, sold her clothes online and from the look of her place, it seemed like it was one successful business.

"Really Kabir, Alina's taste confuses me. It's hard to guess. You know what would look good on her. Here take it." She placed the Ipad in his hands. "Choose the one you like. Only dresses?"