30. The Love I Lost

(This is the last and shortest chapter of Destroying Myself)

Everything hurts.

Beep. Beep. Beep.

I tried to move my arms but it pained.

Adjusting to the light, I looked around the room.

Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep.

Again, I tried to use my arms. Where was I? Everything flooded back to me, all the terrorized memories were back to my mind and I gazed around in confusion.

Rahul.

He was shot. Where was he?

Where was I?

Frantically I meandered my gaze, drank in the white walls, grey curtains and the cardiac machine placed beside me. I tried to move my legs, but as if trying to open a stitch, my body burned with agonizing pain and I fell back down on the bed.

"Hush." A hand was placed on top of mine, and I saw a lady, trying to calm me. "You're a very strong girl." What strong? Where was Rahul? Damn, Veer. He was shot too. Was he alive? What happened to all of them? Where was Radhika? But she answered none of my questions and said to someone, "Inform her family."

Family? I tried to speak up.

"Relax," The nurse soothed to me. "You're fine now."

What about Rahul? How did I reach in the hospital? The knife was plunged into my stomach. Didn't I die? I remember the light vanishing out of my eyes. I remember the life slipped out of my heart, I remember begging Rahul to save himself but he didn't. He had cradled my face, whispering he loved him, begging for me to live but forgetting that blood was apparent on his jacket.

Was he alive? Did he get out of there?

"Nisha," Alina's voice brought me out of my thoughts. She would know about him. She would tell me. "You're fine." She placed her hand on top of my head. "Kabir went to take your medicine, he would be here soon." Her dried eyes spoke the strength of what she had gone through for past few days. "You scared us."

"Where is Rahul?" I rasped. My own voice felt strange to me. "Is he okay? How did I reach here?"

She was alive, and what I had seen was a fragment of my imagination or dare I say a nightmare. How foolish I was to wish Alina had never existed in our life.

She rubbed my forehead. "Police. I want to slap and scream at you for being so stupid, but your condition demands something else." Her eyes watered. "We thought we lose you too. Heads up. Kabir is in a very bad position. Don't laugh at him, okay?"

What did she mean by too?

Before I could ask her anything, Kabir entered the room along with a white polythene, filled with medicines. He placed it on the table and didn't even try to talk to me, and asked Alina, "Officers wants to talk to her."