24. The Day I Deserve

(This song suits Rahul and Nisha at this very moment too much)

[ N I S H A ' S   P O V ]

"Finally!" Radhika beamed from my side, dancing on her toes, or more like making a fool of us in front of the whole college. "We're graduated!"

I laughed at her childish behavior, ignoring the attention it was seeking from bystanders and looked for him in the crowd. No matter what I say, this girl wouldn't live down her excitement, but at the same time, it was a relief to see it on her face, see the goodness in them. Some days I wondered how would I handle my life without her. From past four months, she had stuck to my side, to the side when I healed myself, or when most of the times I yelled at her to leave me alone. She gave me space to get used to everything, but it wasn't easy.

It wasn't easy without anyone.

It wasn't easy without anything.

"Live it down, Radhika," Veer snorted from our side. "People are staring at us."

"Who wouldn't stare at me?" She struck a pose in her graduation gown. "I'm a doctor. Dr. Radhika Sharma."

"Oi Sharma ji ki beti," Veer joked.

Rolling my eyes at their banter, I stared at my watch. Where was he stuck now? Why couldn't he understand the meaning of punctuality?

"For whom are you looking?" He enquired. "A new boyfriend of yours I'm not aware of?"

I nudged his shoulder with mine and shook my head. He and joking didn't sit together even though he tried to be Rahul most of the times. I knew what he endeavors to do. Take Rahul's place. Be jokeful as him, but he couldn't be.

Nobody could be him for me.

Shut up!

I scolded my brain. No more thoughts of Rahul. He was a fading memory for me, and I hoped it prolonged that way as soon as I lived.

He passed me a small smile, understanding what I was trying to say. For months, I didn't talk about him, tried to forget him but Alina had pointed out my mistake. She told me to remember him, not stop his thoughts from my mind because the more I ignored him, the more he would tease me back and make me remember what I was trying to forget.

Months had passed, and after that one letter from him, none came again and I lost hope. He left me. I needed to move on with life. My life wasn't ended. I had my career and my family to look after.

Five months were enough to move on from him.

"Dr. Nisha Oberoi." A full grin appeared on my face. Swirling, I slapped my graduation cap against his chest.

"Where were you?"

"Dean." Kabir nodded his head towards him. "Relief fund talk. Anyway, congratulations. Finally, you're a doctor. I never thought you would be. I mean this medical stuff takes too long. Not to forget you've your internship now, and what's not? You want to be a surgeon. How many more years would it take?"

"Hush!" I giggled at his rambling. "I need my gift."

Huffing, he put his hands inside the pocket of his grey coat and placed the car keys in my hands. "Enjoy it."

Gaping, I stared at it. I didn't know he would take my joke as a reality.

"Wow!" Radhika and Veer mumbled from the side. "You weren't joking when you said your brother is giving you a car."

"And that too top model of BMW?" Veer stared at the keys in my hand. "All I'm getting is a new stethoscope."

I stuck my tongue at him. To get a car, you need to have a loving brother who got melted just seeing you in pain, and moreover, I didn't know he was serious a month ago. We were having a dinner when I had told him about the graduation. He was too delighted and asked me about my gift. Joking I had told him to give me the car he was driving. Kabir loved cars, and wouldn't even let me touch his without a warning. Once I had gotten his car scratched, and after that, his cars were a distant dream for me.