1| Wingman

"Can you shut up for at least one minute?" I yelled at my phone that was ringing non-stop due to my persistent ex-boyfriend, Isaac. We broke up a month ago because our relationship wasn't the same anymore. There was something missing.

I re-read the last paragraph of my essay for history class. It wasn't the greatest, but it will do. I had plans tonight, and that didn't include writing an essay about the Great Depression. My best friend, Mia, was throwing her first party because her parents left for a vacation in the Caribbean.

After printing the essay, I got dressed in a black long-sleeved shirt, and denim ripped jeans. Owen and my parents were out for dinner with Owen's new girlfriend, Stella. I didn't have my driver's license yet, so I did what every desperate teenager would do in this situation; I flirted my way for a ride.

My phone vibrated.

From Garrett:
I'm outside

He was a twelfth grader that played for our school football team. The only reason I know him is that we shared a mutual friend, Trevor.

"Just so we're clear we go home when I want to," he said as soon as I entered his car. He was a dickhead, but then again, I had no ride, and he was easy to convince. All it took was a few cheap burritos and meaningless kisses.

"Just so we're clear don't even try to make a move on me."

He snorted and drove. Mia's house was only a seven-minute drive from my house, five without traffic and slow drivers. "I wasn't planning on it," he said. "Plus, you're Owen's little sister, I don't want his gang to come to beat me up."

I laughed at the fact that he was scared of Owen, "he doesn't have a gang."

"Curtis and Audrey and the rest of his soccer mates." He licked his lips, "although, I wouldn't mind if Audrey tried to beat me up."

"You're disgusting, she has a boyfriend."

He rolled his eyes, "don't you think I know that? We play on the same team."

The short remainder of the car ride was spent listening to his wretched music. Once we got to Mia's house we went our separate ways; he probably wasn't going to be my ride home.

During my search for Mia, my eyes landed on a particular blond; Isaac was here too. Of course, he was here because he knew I would be here too. He was talking to his baseball buddies in the corner of the kitchen.

"For someone who doesn't love Isaac anymore, you're staring for an awfully long time." Trevor's warm breath hit my ears. I could feel his presence looming behind me as if he was the predator and I was the prey. I've known him before elementary school started, from then until now, he still loved to meddle.

"You reek of alcohol and jealousy," I said. I didn't look at him because I knew his face was hovering over my shoulder.

"Ah you see, I'm not jealous, just curious. Curious as to why you poisoned my good friend, he's clearly whipped, what did you do?"

"I didn't do anything. It's part of my natural charm." I asked," since when were you two close?"

He moved in front of me, blocking my view of Isaac. "Ever since he asked me to talk to you about your relationship. He knows we're close and he wants me to be his wingman."