10| Cold Truth

I was forced to watch the baseball game that took place at Riverdale against a school from the next town over. Coach Waddell said it's part of my punishment. I sat on the bottom of the bleachers near the team. I was all alone because Mia scored a date with Veronica's twin brother, Tyler. I didn't know how they knew each other that well to go on a date. But as long as she was moving on from Trevor, I was happy for her. He was simply a heartbreak waiting to happen.

Trevor sat on the bench, his legs shaking up and down as the game continued on. Suddenly, a girl dressed in an all-white attire tapped his shoulder. Veronica was the exact opposite as me, where she wears light colours, I tend to wear dark.

He turned around to talk to her, a smile plastered on his face. Instead of paying attention to the game, Trevor was focused on Veronica, who was now making him laugh. Coach Waddell approached them and sent her away.

She sat in the empty spot next to me. I pretended to watch the game closely. "Hey," she greeted.

"Hey, so how's your first week back?" I asked.

Ever since she showed up unannounced on Monday, she's been the subject of gossip during the week. People wouldn't stop talking about her striking new look and her intriguing personality. Veronica came back as a new person, along with her now attractive brother.

"Great actually," she said, her eyes gazing in Trevor's direction who was now getting ready to pitch. "I missed it."

"Where did you disappear off to?" I asked.

No one knew where they went, and why they left or why they came back. Instead of answering my question, she stood up and cheered Trevor as he ran to second base. The rest of the game was spent in silence. I didn't attempt to talk to her, and she didn't try to talk to me. Whenever I would look at her from the corner of my eyes, I could see her staring at Trevor.

He still hasn't told me his feelings about Veronica's return. Based on the way he described their relationship, he really liked her. Maybe he was even in love, and that doesn't just go away because your loved one disappeared.

"You played amazing out there!" Veronica ran to hug Trevor. The majority of the team headed to the change rooms or parking lot. He reluctantly put his arms around her back before pulling away.

"Thanks," he said.

I watched them discretely from the bleachers. I pretended to search for people in the crowd that was dying down.

"We should go celebrate your incredible victory," she smiled. Along with her new found personality, Veronica was much more charming. "The three of us should."

They both looked up at me, and I quickly rushed down the bleachers, tripping on my own feet. Gladly, a passerby caught me, Isaac. His eyes bored into mine, and suddenly everything that happened in between us flashed in my mind like a horror movie that wouldn't stop playing.

"Nice catch," Veronica said.

"She is," he whispered still looking at me, still holding me. I thought he was angry at me.

"You know what?" Despite Trevor's towering height, Veronica slung her arm across his shoulder. "We should all go out for frozen yogurt."

The three of us went silent, as we stared at her blankly. The last time we went out together, it was a double date disaster at a diner.

"I'll drive, and I'm not taking no for an answer."

•••