9| The Return

"You're an idiot for staying you know?" I said. Trevor groaned due to the pressure I was applying to his bruising jaw. I wasn't certified in first aid, but I knew ice would reduce the swelling. He sat on the counter in the kitchen holding the bag of ice to his face while I grabbed some medicine to reduce the pain.

"Is that how you thank a hero?"

I stood in between his legs giving him a pill for the pain, "here."

"Thanks."

"Let me see it," I said as I moved away from his hand from the bruising area. "You should have gone."

"I'm beginning to think you don't want me here," he said. I took the ice from his hands and held it up to his face.

"I just feel bad for what happened to you."

He pursed his lips, "everything that happened to me was because of my decisions and that asshole."

"I just-"

He interrupted, "don't feel guilty. I'd choose the same decisions I made even if I knew my handsome face would be wrecked."

"I'm truly touched, Trevor."

"Oh, you were supposed to say that my face is still handsome even if it was beaten up." He said with a disappointed look on his face, but knowing him, he was joking around.

I leaned into him laughing, "that's not how it works."

I pulled back. He was smiling now, dimples showing and all. He looked charming. "Tell me Nutty, how does it work?"

"The hero isn't supposed to beg for compliments." I gazed into his eyes. This was the longest time I've spent looking into them.

"I'm waiting."

"Your eyes remind me of the shit I have yet to take," I said trying not to laugh.

He rolled his eyes, "you don't get rescued by guys that often do you?"

"Fine let me try again," I averted my eyes away from his, looking at another part of his face. I immediately found his lips. They were devoid of any blood that was there earlier. I remembered the way they felt from touching them once with my fingers. I was about to feel the way it felt with my lips in my dream.

"Please, my lips get very anxious when a beautiful girl stares at them for too long."

I was caught off track, but his compliment was the only push I needed to do what I wanted to do ever since I woke up from the damn dream. My hands slid around his neck, Trevor bent downwards as he rested his hands on my back. Then with one final move, my lips connected with his.

•••

"No matter how many turtlenecks you wear won't change the fact that big hickey is there," Mia said as she took a bite out of her sandwich.

I looked surprised when she confronted me about it, scared she might get mad about the things that took place during the stay at the lake house with Trevor. Our kiss escalated, and his lips were suddenly on the neck.

I haven't talked to him ever since we left the lake house. A day later and he still hasn't spoken to me. Though, I haven't seen him at school either.

"I'm sorry Mia," I said. She knew I was with Trevor the whole weekend. "It just happened between Trevor and me."

"Honestly, I knew this was coming so I was prepared for it. I saw the way he looked at you. Despite your apparent disgust for Trevor, I knew you had something going on for him too. Plus, I didn't like him as much as my heart made it seem."