4| Morning After

Trevor's face was only inches away from mine; his stinky morning breath lingered near my face. He was still asleep. The sun was out; we must have fallen asleep during the movie yesterday. The last thing I could remember was when Captain America realized that the Winter Soldier was his old friend, Bucky Barnes.

I was examining the scar on Trevor's upper lip. He got the scar when he was younger because he jumped off the couch and onto the coffee table. He missed and hit his face on the corner. I brought my hand up to his face, my thumb brushing against the scar. I traced the outline of his lower lip with my index finger. I've never noticed until now that Trevor has changed so much. His shaggy brown hair that covered the majority of his forehead when we were younger is now lighter, a caramel colour. His chubby cheeks are replaced with a more defined bone structure that's visible in the cheeks and jaw.

"Please extract your filthy hand from my mouth," he murmured, his eyes still shut. "You aren't my dentist."

I quickly moved my hand away from his face as I shifted further away from him. "I secretly am your dentist. You have two cavities. I'm ashamed."

He smiled revealing a set of dimples, "it's because I'm with you too much, you're too sweet for me."

"You should have woken me up," I said as I got up from the bed. I tied the mess I called my hair into a high bun.

"You looked tired."

"Yeah, that date drained me," I said.

"Tell me about it over breakfast."

After the longest search for a toothbrush, we finally made it to their kitchen. Thankfully, Audrey wasn't home. Owen would find out about this sleepover before I could even get home. I have nothing to be scared about; there's nothing going on between us.

I took out the eggs from the fridge and started making sunny side up eggs as Trevor toasted the bread and washed the raspberries.

"Isaac really likes you; he's so whipped," Trevor said. 

I flipped both the eggs and didn't bother turning around to face him. I knew he was staring at me. I know he wants to beg me for another date with Isaac. "I know."

"And he wants you back."

"You're telling me things I already know Trevor."

He appeared beside me. His side was leaning against the counter, his body facing me. "Then why don't you tell him you're not interested because I can't convince him that he's wasting his time on you. You're making him hope for nothing. You're toying with his emotions. It's making him unable to heal and move on."

I transferred the cooked eggs to two plates and carried them to the table. Trevor followed behind me. I sat down, "I just don't want to break his heart again."

"You're breaking his heart either way," Trevor said. "With love, hearts always get broken, it's inevitable."

"Since when were you an expert in all things love?" I asked.

Trevor was the type of guy to break the hearts of the girls that went after him. I always knew him to be the one that didn't want any serious relationships. As far as I know, he never experienced heartache because Trevor never risked someone hurting his heart. Smart move.

"Ever since the only girl I've been serious about left without an explanation, let alone a goodbye."

I swallowed the food in my mouth, "who?"

"Veronica Reyes, you know the girl in the band, she was on the swim team."

"Not ringing a bell."

He rolled his eyes as he took a sip of his orange juice, "she threw up in the cafeteria in ninth grade."

"Oh her, okay now I remember."

After that incident, she was known as "Veronica Vomit" for a week. It was a good thing she wasn't at school because she had the stomach flu. I felt bad for her. Everyone was in the cafeteria that day because it was pouring rain outside. Plus, that happened during the first month of freshman year.

"Anyways, we had this mutual understanding that we liked each other May of tenth grade. We hung out all summer long, and she just disappeared after that. I never saw her at school again, even her brother left."

The resemblance between Veronica, and her twin brother, Tyler Reyes, was too scary. They had the same raven black hair, the brown eyes, the same small shaped nose, and an identical mole on their left wrist. They were twins, but they're practically the same person. As far as I can remember, they had the same hobbies and the same dislikes.

"So don't be a Veronica. Don't break his heart if you can avoid it."

•••

Trevor offered to drive me back home after our short breakfast. I knew he wanted to say more, but he held back. So, the ride back home was as awkward and uncomfortable as the double date last night. Trevor has always been a source of joy and laughter for me. Little did I know that he was unhappy. He never showed it.

I got a perfect view of my house when we turned the corner; a familiar blond sat on the lawn beside a blue and grey bike. Trevor must have seen it too because he looked at me.

My palms became sweaty, and my heart was beating out of my chest. I didn't like seeing people I care about get hurt, and now I realized that I was the cause of Isaac's pain. He wants to be with me, but I don't. Just as Trevor said, I hurt him either way. If I tell him what I feel, he'll get hurt because I don't love him the way I used to. And if I keep letting him pursue me, I'm hurting him because all I'm giving him is false hope.

Sometimes in love, no one wins.

I got out of the car, and Isaac's eyes immediately darted to Trevor. I was still wearing the same clothes I wore from yesterday. "You slept with him?" Isaac asked.

"It's not like that. We accidentally fell asleep in the living room." He doesn't need to know that we slept in the same bed. It would do nothing but hurt him even more. Trevor started backing up onto the road. He was leaving.

"Okay well, do you want to watch a movie with me?" Isaac asked. I don't want to be a Veronica.

"Isaac," I looked him in the eyes. "I just don't love you the way I used to."

a/n Okay so there's more depth to Trevor's character in this chapter, and I'm honestly loving it. I wanted to portray that obviously, it's not always girls getting heartbroken and it's not always guys that do the heartbreaking. That these are just stereotypes and that we all need to realize that yes girls hurt, but guys do too.

Anyways, please continue to vote, comment and share this story.♥︎