5| The Drunk Coach

I didn't know what was worse, breaking someone's heart or getting your heart broken. After I told Isaac that I didn't love him anymore, he left and didn't say a word. Now, I was going to be forced to see him. I had to help the baseball coach, and he was on the team, along with Trevor.

How awkward can my life get?

I wanted to look cute and protect my eyes from the sun, so I wore my brother's New York Yankees baseball cap. I'm only here to pay my time for accidental plagiarism, nothing else. I'm going to stay focused and be serious.

"Hello Mr. Waddell," I greeted. He was the only one on the field; all the other guys must be in the change rooms.

"Do you see this baseball cap?" He asked, and I nodded. "When this hat is on my balding head, it's coach Waddell, got it?"

"Yes coach," I answered, a little weirded out.

"Great, so you're going to run the warm-up, while I visit the teacher's lounge for a cup of coffee."

"I don't know what to do," I said. This was going to be worse than I thought. All the guys on the team started filing out.

Oh shit.

"You'll figure it out," he patted my shoulder as he walked away. I was absolutely doomed, the worst that can happen is them laughing at me or ditching practice.

"Coach makes us stretch and run two laps around the field," Trevor whispered as he passed by me.

The next forty-five minutes of my life was absolute torture. After sending the boys to run, I thought it would be easy. I would stand on the sidelines and watch them practice, perhaps fill water bottles once in a while. But I was wrong. Instead of filling up empty water bottles, coach Waddell made me fetch the baseballs they would hit.

I ran back and forth under the scorching afternoon sun. The boys were snickering at me and most of all, Isaac would stare and stare and stare. He knew I caught him, but he stared at me with sadness and resentment. It was so bad and awkward. I just wanted someone to hit me with a baseball bat, repeatedly. 

•••

I tipped another red plastic cup towards my mouth, finishing another cup of beer. This was one of those nights where I relied on alcohol to sober up the strong emotions I was feeling. Just like any other lonely teenager, I drank and drank until I was numb until I forgot all the problems I was facing.

Mia was on the other side of the room, talking to the guy that ran the yearbook committee. She was flirting her way through to get a page dedicated to her and her achievements. I admired her determination.

I poured vodka into my cup. It probably wasn't good to mix drinks. My liver definitely won't be thanking me tomorrow, or anytime soon. The loud music irritated my ears, and the strong stench of alcohol and sweat filled the entire room up. I was pushing my way through the crowd because the alcohol wasn't sitting well in my stomach.

"Natalia," Valerie said. She grabbed me by the shoulders and looked me in the face. "You don't look okay." She wrapped her rough hands around my wrist and pulled me to the empty washroom where I got a better view of myself.

A girl stared back at me through the mirror; she looked nothing like me. Her blonde hair was an absolute mess, and the mascara dripped down to her cheeks. I tried getting a better look, but everything was spinning.

"Hey," she said. "Stay awake. I'm going to get Mia. Stay here and don't let anyone in."

I knew I was going to pass out soon, so I leaned over the sink and drenched my face in cold water. I locked the door and took my phone from my pocket so I could call Owen. The phone kept ringing, but no one was picking up. I tried again, but still no response. I thought I was going to die in this washroom but then Mia started calling my name. As soon as I opened the door and faced her, I felt the vomit coming up and threw up on the floor.

"That has to be one of the worst greetings ever," she said. "We need to call Owen even though he'll probably use a guillotine on you after."

"I already called him. He's not answering." I sat on the cold tiled flooring and leaned against the wallpaper.

"I'm going to call Trevor."

"Come to Valerie's house now," she sternly said as Mia looked at me worriedly. "Natalia is too drunk, I need help to bring her home."

She hung up the phone, "that didn't take much convincing."

"He's coming?"

"Without any hesitation or complains."

•••

The next thing I saw was Trevor's chin. His hands were on my back and behind my knees; he was carrying me. We were in my house's hallway, and Mia was in front of us, opening the door to my bedroom.

"Looks like the troubled child is awake," Trevor said as he set me on the bed.

"Thank you so much. I honestly wouldn't have been able to bring her home safely. I hate to leave her all alone, but I have to go." She looked at me, "I'll call you tomorrow morning. Maybe we can get some hangover brunch together."

Trevor sat on my bed, with a cold towel in his hand. He patted my forehead, "nice raccoon eyes."

"Thanks, I was getting my Halloween costume ready."

"It's the end of April."

"Your point is?" I asked as he continued to press the cloth on my head. I grabbed his hand, "you can stop now."

"Not before we wipe away this raccoon problem," he leaned in closer, his face only centimetres away from mine. He took the cloth and removed the smudged mascara mess under my eyes.

"Thank you," I said. "I really mean it; you saved my ass tonight."

"It's no problem. You saved me from a boring Thursday night. We're even." He started to get up.

"Can you stay the night?" I asked without hesitation.

"I never said I was going to leave," he said. "You need to learn how to let a guy pee."

We drifted apart for so long, yet here we are again. No matter what decisions we make or paths we take, it will always lead us to the same outcome. No matter how far we stray from each other, our roads will always intertwine.

By the time he got back, my eyelids already began to close, but my ears were wide awake when they heard Trevor mutter, "oh what I wouldn't do for you, Natalia."

a/n Okay, so for publishing this at night when I usually do during the afternoon. So first of all I'd like to address the fact that if you are drinking and partying, please stay safe and always go out with a couple of friends so you can watch over each other. Oh and always have a designated driver to safely drive you home, someone who is not drunk. Anyways, please continue to read, vote, share and comment this story!