13| The Set Up

I tapped my feet nervously to the sound of the clock as I wait for the dreaded news Mr. Allen will bring. I know this because I'm sitting in the principal's office with Trevor, Veronica and Isaac. Ever since we got here, Veronica has been smirking.

"Good morning Mr. Allen," I greeted as soon as he walked in. To my surprise, he was looking rather jolly and upbeat. I thought he would have been angry because we did something. Owen told me about the time he had to attend a leadership camp because of Mr. Allen. 

"I called you down here to inform you about the elementary school event you volunteered for last week. I finally received the final details regarding their school barbecue taking place tomorrow."

"Sorry what?" Trevor responded with the same shock I felt. "I don't remember signing up for this."

Mr. Allen leaned back in his seat, "Veronica said all four of you volunteered. She came to me last week."

"Well, she was lying because we never did," I said. I don't know what Veronica's intentions were when she signed us up for this but one thing's for sure, it's the beginning of her revenge scheme. 

"It's too late to back out now. I'll expect to hear good things from the principal at St. Mary's after the event," Mr. Allen said. "You should be proud to represent Riverdale, such honour!"

Everyone at our school can agree on one thing, Mr. Allen was a unique principal who had weird and creative ways to punish students. One time, two students were caught skipping class four days in a row, so he made them clean his car during the weekend.

"Fine," I said. I had nothing important to do this weekend anyway, might as well help a school out and give the kids a good time. "What do we have to do?"

He leaned forward, looking at his computer screen. "It says here that you are expected to run a few challenges and bring cupcakes for the prizes."

"How many?" Veronica asked. I looked over at Trevor who was pleading at me with his eyes. 

"Five dozen," Mr. Allen said. "And it has to be homemade, no nuts. They want a variety."

"Why can't they just buy it?" Isaac complained.

"Does it look like I'm in charge?" Mr. Allen countered. "I'm just the messenger, remember you'll get community service hours for doing this."

"Not worth it," Trevor murmured from beside me.

"That is all my precious volunteers, "Mr. Allen waved us off. "You may go."

•••

"I'm telling you guys, they won't know if it's store-bought or homemade," Isaac repeated. He was lounging on the sofa watching us mix the chocolate cupcake batter. After leaving the office, Veronica suggested we bake the cupcakes at her house. No one disagreed because no one wants to have their kitchen get completely destroyed. So far, we were doing a decent job. 

"They'll know because the homemade ones will be shitty," Trevor responded.

I smacked him in the arm, "don't say that. We're actually doing a great job."

Veronica put the last tray of cupcakes in the oven while I iced the vanilla cupcakes with buttercream frosting. The boys weren't helping. All they've done is discourage us.

"Yeah it surprisingly looks appetizing," Trevor eyed one of the cupcakes. 

"They're not for you," I moved the tray away from his prying eyes. I could feel Veronica and Isaac's eyes and attention shift towards the two of us. 

"So, how long has this whirlwind romance been going on?" Veronica asked as she frosted one of the cupcakes. For the first time tonight, Isaac stood up from the couch and joined us. 

"I've loved her ever since this summer," Trevor replied looking at me. I was about to answer two weeks because it made the most sense to me since our stunt in the cafeteria happened last week.

"Yeah, he told me about that when we officially started dating," I lied.

"Weren't you and Isaac dating during the summer?" Veronica asked. "That's extremely awkward."

"It's not like I cheated on Isaac. I recently started liking Trevor," I said. "Ever since my first day as Mr. Waddell's coach assistant, I realized how much I liked him."

That wasn't a lie; I saw him in a different light when he picked me up from the party and stayed the night. His looks and personality attracted me to him. It wanted me to get to know him better. Now we're both good friends helping each other get rid of our clingy exes.

"How could you like your best friend's girl?" Veronica raised her eyebrow.

"It's not like I'm the first person to ever like a friend's girlfriend," Trevor replied. "At least I didn't try to steal Natalia from him."

I reached for Trevor's hand, "you don't have to explain yourself to someone who clearly doesn't give a shit about you."

Veronica let out a small laugh, "you don't know anything about me or my relationship with Trevor."

"There's no relationship between us," Trevor said.

"Then why don't you tell us why you left him without a goodbye," I said. 

I remembered the last time all four of us were together. The intention was pure and harmless, but the outcome hurt me more than anything else I've experienced in my life. During our trip to the frozen yogurt place, I asked Veronica why she came to Riverdale and why she left Trevor without saying goodbye, but she never answered.

"I'll tell you if you admit this relationship you have is all a lie," Veronica said gesturing to Trevor and me. 

"We can't admit something is a lie if it's the truth," Trevor said. 

"You're just trying to avoid the subject Veronica, the four of us will be spending lots of unwanted time together. What better way to get to know each other if you answer this question," I said.

"I'll answer it, if the three of you answer a question from me," Veronica bargained.

"Hey, don't drag me into this," Isaac complained.

"Fine, but you're answering first."

"I left Riverdale because my mom was caught up in a drug scandal. She was transporting drugs illegally across the Canadian and Mexican borders. So my dad decided it would be a good idea if we moved to our grandmother's house on the West Coast. We were homeschooled there. Then when everything was settled, we came back."

The sudden teardrop that fell across her cheek revealed the despair and the truth behind that story. She didn't want to tell anyone because it was embarrassing. Even though I couldn't stand her, I felt bad for pushing her to admit it. 

"So if you guys are wondering where all this money came from," she gestured to the lavish house they were living in. "Tyler and I are now under the care of my dad's friend from high school because he can't take care of us anymore. There's no one left, not even our grandma wants us." She quickly swiped away the falling tears as she exhaled deeply. "I guess you want me to answer why I left Trevor without saying goodbye."

"You don't have to," I said quietly. All I wanted to do was help Trevor out. I wanted him to get all the answers he never received.

"No, that one's a simple answer," Veronica said. "I never loved him."

a/n I am so sorry for not updating for a month, I've been so busy with school and I'm not really in the right mental state to write because I've been feeling like shit. But everything's slowly getting better now, expect regular weekly updates on Friday.

Also, my TVD fanfiction, Isadora, will begin updating this Sunday. So it's also weekly, you should add it to your library especially if you're a big fan of The Vampire Diaries. (There's a lot of Kai Parker and Kol Mikaelson).