20| Collateral Damage

After receiving a mysterious text from an anonymous person; I headed to the dance studio. The stranger told me they wanted to meet up with me to discuss "important matters." I had a feeling that it was Trevor playing tricks on me again because he always loved pranking me. 

I opened the door and in the corner of the room was the raven-haired girl I grew to hate, Veronica Reyes. She was stretching, but she stopped as soon as our eyes met through the mirrors. A narcissist would love this room; the walls were lined with mirrors.

"What a surprise, my special guest actually showed up. " She clasped her hands together and stood up.

"What do you want now?" I rolled my eyes. I didn't want to deal with her antics right now. She hasn't been bothersome for the past few weeks, in fact, she's been quiet. I haven't heard from her since her little volunteering stunt at the elementary school.

"I thought you were excellent at English, didn't you read the text?" She cocked her eyebrow at me. Veronica crossed her arms as she waited for my answer.

"Just tell me what you want to tell me so I can go and move on with my life."

She laughed slowly, shaking her head. "You won Natalia. You can have Trevor. Claim him as your prize."

"He's not a prize to be won," I said. I was angry now. Veronica wanted to be with Trevor because she strongly believes he's some consolation prize. She hurt him numerous times, and now she has the audacity to tell me that winning Trevor was like a contest to her.

"It doesn't matter to me anymore because I know that one day Trevor will come crawling back to me like he always does. I'm his first and greatest love. You're just a distraction, a filler for the time he'll spend away from me. You're only together so he can realize how I'm the better choice. So for that, thank you, Natalia."

I wanted to rip her to pieces. She could never understand a fraction of our relationship. Veronica Reyes had a heart of stone. She had no feelings, no remorse. I was still pissed at her for hurting Trevor so long ago.

"You think you can predict the future and his feelings? Well, guess what Veronica Vomit, we'll see who he's with during Senior year."

"I'm transferring to Bayview High for the graduating year. So have all the fun with Trevor because one day that will be out of your reach. Go to prom together. I don't care because, in the end, it'll be him and I. Just like always."

I was so happy to hear I've finally gotten rid of one of the biggest ticks in my life. I didn't have to deal with her drama and threats anymore. I was free of Veronica. Most importantly, Trevor didn't have to see her around school anymore, his constant reminder of the love they used to share will disappear. He didn't have to be in pain.

"Oh but don't think I'm completely out of your miserable lives. My twin brother, Tyler is staying for your stupid friend, Mia. He'll be my eyes and ears. While he's here, you'll always be reminded of me," she said. Veronica curtsied, "you're welcome."

"You know what Veronica?" I said. I was done with all her bullshit. I didn't want to drag on her miseries and craziness with me anymore. All I wanted to do was let go and be happy. "I truly hope you find someone at Bayview who will change you for the better. I wish you all the best, I mean it. And if you think you'll still be tormenting my life even after you leave, guess what? It didn't affect me then, and it won't now."

"Before I go, I want to ask you if this picture affects you?" She approached me, and she showed me a picture. At first, I couldn't see what it was, but then I walked closer. It was a picture of Trevor in his baseball uniform, standing in the boy's change room at school kissing Veronica. It was their side profile, so it was very evident that it was Trevor and Veronica locking lips. She was trying to create a final grand problem that would surely separate Trevor and me, but I wasn't stupid.

"This could be from months ago before we even started dating."

"If that's what you want to believe," she scoffed. "Tell me Natalia, how many home games did the baseball team have since I arrived?"

I counted all the times Coach Waddell made me stay after baseball practice because watching the baseball game was mandatory for the coach's assistant. It wasn't hard to forget.

"One," I answered.

"Correct," Veronica plastered on a fake smile. "Let me give you a hint because I see your mind is a little extra slow today. Do you remember what you called me before the baseball game?"

I was instantly transported to the time Isaac tried to kiss me, but I refused. I was so angry that he tried to do that, so all I wanted to do was see Trevor. I remembered asking Ryan where he was when Veronica came walking by with her lipstick all smudged. She was walking away from the boy's change room, where I later found Trevor. I remembered him looking nervous.

"I called you a clown," my throat started getting dry. Trevor and I weren't together, but everyone thought we were dating. And if he claimed to have feelings for me since last summer, he wouldn't have kissed Veronica. Unless he still liked her. "You kissed him," I said.

"And it was a good one too. I don't like sharing my toys, but don't get me wrong, if I had the chance to do it all over again I would."

"You're disgusting," I said.

"That's why Isaac tried to kiss you the same night, we planned it. We wanted to drive you guys apart so we could have you for ourselves. We wanted to show Trevor a picture of you and Isaac kissing, but you resisted, though Trevor wasn't so strong under my spell. What can I say, men are fickle creatures."

"This is your fault," I croaked.

"I'm sorry honey, but he wouldn't have kissed me if he was all yours. He had the option to refuse as you did."

"You and Isaac didn't have to do that," I said. They didn't realize the aftermath of their actions. They didn't take people's feelings into consideration. They didn't think about the hearts that would be broken as long as theirs would be mended. Veronica and Isaac were selfish.

"I realized I really loved Trevor when I left. That's part of the reason why I came back, so I could get back with him. You were another obstacle in my way; you're just collateral damage Natalia. I would apologize, but I'm not sorry for wanting him." The sound of her high heels clicked against the hardwood floors as she slammed the door shut of the dance studio.

He said he loved me. I was so scared to jump into this relationship because of the fear of breaking my already broken heart. I thought being with Trevor would make me forget. But he made it worse. Instead of retrieving all the broken pieces of my heart, it shattered into a million more.

a/n I decided to update one day earlier because I'm going on a road trip with friends for the next couple of days so I might not be able to update tomorrow. So, what did you think of the big revelation that happened in this chapter? Any predictions on what will happen to Trevor and Natalia?

Also, I haven't gotten the chance to thank you for the 400 reads on this book! Writing on Wattpad has helped me improve as a writer (even though my writing still isn't the best) and it encouraged me to write more frequently. Anyways, please continue the much-appreciated support for this book!