21| Sinking Ship

I skipped the last two classes of the day. I stayed in the same position since Veronica left me with the unthinkable truth; Trevor kissed her. I was hesitant to enter a relationship with someone after Isaac. I was too scared and fragile to let my heart love again. I took a chance with Trevor because I knew he would never hurt me the way Isaac did.

I thought he was telling the truth when he said he fell in love with me since the summer. Trevor fooled me into thinking I was his lighthouse and he was a lost boat in need of me. He said I guided him and helped him throughout the dark times in his life. Now all that's left of this love I once believed was true are the ruins of a sinking ship.

I wiped the tears from my eyes for the hundredth time as the bell rang signalling the end of the day. I had to do one thing before I left school. I left the dance studio with my head held high even though all I wanted to do was cry. I held in the tears that so desperately wanted to fall.

I found him. He was standing at his locker with Luis from the baseball team. His face radiated happiness until he saw me walking to him. I was a thunderstorm that couldn't wait to rain on his bright day.

"Natalia," he said. Isaac looked surprised and confused I was standing in front of him. Especially after I told him multiple times to stay away from me.

"Is this what you wanted?" I asked. My voice was on the verge of breaking. Luis was awkwardly backing away from the conversation; he patted Isaac on the shoulder before leaving.

"I'm lost."

"Understand this Isaac, people who play tricks on others and manipulate situations will never end up with the results they want. They'll never be happy because it's not right to toy with people's feelings."

"I don't know what you're saying."

We were surrounded by other students in the hallway, but I didn't care about what they'll think of me. So I slapped Isaac across the cheek. "Ask Veronica."

I quickly walked across the hallway, occasionally bumping into people. I didn't bother apologizing or looking up. I just wanted to get out of here as soon as possible.

"Natalia!"

I turned around at the familiar voice. It was Mia. She was pushing her way through the crowd. I stopped in the middle of my tracks. As soon as she reached me, I pulled her into a hug. I immediately started letting all the tears fall. In this crazy world that's filled with uncertainty, I knew one thing; Mia will always be there for me.

She pulled me outside where it was quieter. Even though students and faculty were still trickling out of the building, they didn't pay much attention. I told Mia everything, from the fake relationship with Trevor to me slapping Isaac in the face. I've never felt so relieved yet worried. I'm worried because saying my problems out loud makes it even more real.

"Since the day I met you, I've known you to be a strong ass bitch who conquers her problems head-on without ever losing sight of who she is and what's important in her life. So I know, that you'll get through this Natalia. It may not seem like it at the moment, but one day Trevor, Isaac and Veronica will seem like ant-sized problems. Or whatever the smallest insect is."

"Seriously Mia ant-sized?" I laughed a bit.

"I'm not some insect expert okay? Are ants that smallest insect? I don't know very many insects."