11| People Use People

I never guessed I would be in the same bed as my former fling Shawn Vega again. I briefly dated him before Isaac to make Owen angry because I knew how much my brother hated him. It wasn't anything serious. I regretted every single moment of it. But here I was, having sex with him.

This time it was for a different reason, I wanted to get Isaac off my back, and Shawn wanted a rebound for his rebound. During my sixteen years on this earth, I've learned one valuable lesson I will take to my grave: people use people.

It's in our nature to do things that will benefit us without thinking of the consequences it has on other people. We are selfish, and most of the time, we only look out for ourselves. It was a cruel way to live.

"You're coming to the party with me next weekend right Little D?" He asked as he rolled over beside me.

I laughed, "between the two of us I shouldn't be the one called Little D."

"You're hilarious," he said. "So round two?"

Suddenly, the door swung open. I expected Owen to come bursting in with Stella, but I knew they were too busy doing whatever couples do in basements. It was Trevor, with a shocked expression on his face. He apologized and quickly shut the door. It was a good thing I was in a bra and underwear.

I got out from under the blankets to chase him before he could tell Owen what I was up to. Owen and Shawn were on good terms again, but he would still disapprove.

"Wait," I said. I didn't bother throwing on a shirt to cover my indecency. I grabbed his arm and pulled him in the washroom.

"I'm surprised you're talking to me now and that you're with your neighbour now," Trevor said.

After the incident at the frozen yogurt place, Trevor visited me the next day. When he showed up my house, I told him to fuck off, and he never talked to me ever since. While Isaac on the other hand, kept my wishes in mind until Tuesday when he begged me for another explanation and apology.

"We're not together in that way. It's just a way to get Isaac to completely back away from me," I explained. For some reason, I didn't want Trevor thinking I liked Shawn.

"So is sex included in that package deal?" He asked as he eyed me from bottom to top. He took off his sweater and handed it to me. I put it on.

"Why are you here Trevor?"

He ran his hand through his hair, taking a deep breath before answering. "Friends don't abandon friends, especially during their darkest hours."

"It was a week ago."

"The passing of time doesn't make it hurt less."

I bit my lip. I knew in a way he was talking to himself. He was still hurting because of Veronica. I saw them around school this past week. She was following him around like a puppy looking for redemption. She wanted him back. I was so caught up in my troubles that I forgot that other people are hurting too and the least you can do for them is to listen.

"Just like you and Veronica."

"I'm not here to talk about her."

"Okay," I said. My mind brought me back to the night of the frozen yogurt catastrophe. "Why didn't you tell me sooner?"

For a second I thought he was going to push me aside and run out of the washroom. But instead, he stared at my eyes and told me the truth. "I saw that you were happy with Isaac and I didn't want to destroy that. Sometimes the truth does more harm than the lies."

"I could've gotten out of that relationship before I actually fell for him."

"I'm sorry," he said with sincerity in his eyes and voice.

"It doesn't make a difference anyway, but I appreciate it," I said. "I know it's been weeks, but how are you and Veronica?"

"Our names shouldn't even be in the same sentence. She's been bugging me all week. She wants to get back together."

Trevor was rocking back and forth. He swallowed, "I'm not in the position to ask you for a favour, but what if it was me and you instead of you and your friendly neighbour?"

I was confused at first, before realizing what he was proposing, to fake date each other. I was planning to do that with Shawn because I knew I would never love him in any way, and learning about what happened to Audrey and Curtis scared me. They began their relationship as a favour for Mr. Allen, but over time they fell in love. After what happened with Isaac, I'm too scared for that. I don't want to gamble my already broken heart.

But I knew Trevor was just a friend, nothing more, nothing less.

"Sure," I said hesitantly. "I'll agree to that."

"Really?" He asked.

"Yeah, you're helping me out with Isaac and I'm helping you out with Veronica. With Shawn, all he bargained for was sex, and honestly, he sucks."

I expected him to laugh, but his expression remained cold and distant. Just when I thought we were becoming close again, someone decides to rip us apart. All I wanted was a friend, and now I was stuck with a fake boyfriend.

"It should be real."

"I don't understand," I said.

"Our love is obviously fake," he explained. "But we should act like our relationship is real."

"I'm still not following."

He ran a hand through his hair, "I'm suggesting we act like we would if we were in a real relationship. Do things you would do if I was your actual boyfriend and if you were my actual girlfriend."

"Is that another way of saying you want to have sex with me?" I joked suggestively wiggling my eyebrows.

"It's not that." He was blushing now, bright red against his olive skin.

I didn't understand his proposal because we were already acting like we were dating. I didn't know what he meant behind that. Nevertheless, it didn't worry me because I knew he would never intentionally hurt me.

"Yeah, I'll do it."

He sighed, smiling he said, "alright. See you on Monday."

I moved away from the door. "Bye boyfriend."

"Bye Nutty," he smiled.

"You're going to have to work on nicknames," I said. He was halfway down the stairs when I realized I had his sweater on. "You forgot your sweater."

"Keep it," he said. "Isn't sweatshirt stealing part of the whole dating thing?"

"Not sure, all my relationships were a complete bust."

He was on the bottom of the stairs now, looking up at me, "are you going to let me leave or are you going to keep talking?"

I rolled my eyes, "drive safe you idiot."

I opened my bedroom door to see an empty bed and an open window, the same window Shawn used to sneak in. As I approached my bed, I saw he left one thing. From afar I thought it was the condom wrapper, but it was a note.

A note that read: I heard the conversation you had in the bathroom, I completely understand. I wish you all the best. It was fun while it lasted. -Your friendly next door neighbour

a/n Okay so I know you guys may be getting School Spirit vibes since there are parallels to the storyline but I swear it will be different. What do you guys think about their plan? What do you think Trevor meant by that cryptic message?

Continue on voting and commenting, I really appreciate it!