FIVE ✔️

"Wait here

"Wait here." Was all Jane said before leaving the bedroom.

Aurora took the time to observe where she was. There was one bed, though she knew the vampiress didn't need it. She had a grand bookshelf that had many books in Italian and English and one other language she couldn't pinpoint.

Getting up, Aurora walked over to the lone window in the room, the one source of natural light.

Outside she saw many people adorned in red cloaks celebrating and forgetting the world around them. Amongst them she saw the outline of a car, the one Alice stole, as it drove back through the streets.

Aurora was interrupted from her thoughts when the door opened and Jane walked in.

"Sorry about that. I needed to feed." Jane explained in the same cold tone and she closed the door.

"Oh, no problem. Gave me time to think." Aurora said, "When the creepy dude-"

"Aro." Jane interrupted.

"Right. Wait does that mean you think he's creepy too?" She stopped at the blank stare Jane gave her. "Um, when Aro said 'mate' what did he mean? Isn't that a pirate thing?"

Jane stared at Aurora with confusion on her face. "I think that would be matey." The word sounded weird coming from the stoic vampire.

"Oh, so not a pirate." Aurora let out an awkward laugh. "Then what is it?"

Jane sat down on the bed and gestured for Aurora to do the same. She sat stiffly, back perfectly upright. Aurora slouched in comparison.

"A mate is the person you are meant to be with. Your friend was that Cullen's mate. Usually when someone is another's blood singer- their blood appeals to that vampire more than anyone else's- then they are also the mate, not always." Jane explained and Aurora took it all in.

"So...I'm..."

"You are my mate, Aurora." Jane said softly, a tone that was usually reserved for Alec.

"If I'm your mate, won't I have to be...uh... changed?" Aurora asked nervously.

"Master Aro has given me a week to change you." Jane explained. "If I don't do it by then, they'll kill you."

"I'd really appreciate not being killed." Aurora said sheepishly as she twirled a piece of hair around her finger.

"I'd appreciate that too."

The sound of a knock at the door ended the conversation. Jane muttered a soft "Come in."

The door opened and her brother Alec stood there with his arms folded behind his back.

"I never thought I'd see the day, sister." He said, a light teasing tone in his voice.

"Yes, you and I both."

Alec turned to Aurora inspecting her. "I never thought you'd be mated to a human either."

"And I'd never thought I'd be mated to a vampire." Aurora said with a nervous laugh. "Or, y'know, at all."

Alec smiled, he approved. "Well I must warn you, my sister can be a bit...intense."

"Aurora, I must warn you, my brother can be a bit...annoying." Jane retorted. It brought a smile to Aurora's face to see the serious twins joking with each other out of the throne room.

"Jane, Alec, I must warn you, I can be a bit...clumsy."

She saw Jane smile at her and for once, she felt at home.

"So, Alec, do you have a mate?"

The brunette boy shifted awkwardly. "No. Jane would be the first of us- us being the two of us and Demetri and Felix- to find a mate."

Jane nodded, "It can be a touchy subject. So I try and bring it up often in front of the two of them."

"