Episode 6-The Mako Mermaids

Many hours passed before the girls reached land. When they finally did, they couldn't drag themselves out of the water. They were exhausted, especially Sal since she had been carrying Evelyn for all that time. Destiny tried to pull herself onto the beach, but she couldn't feel her tail. Elizabeth was fading in and out of consciousness. Evelyn's breathing was fast and heavy, severely worrying Sal. What if she had pushed her baby sister too hard?

"Are we dreaming?" Destiny mumbled.

Sal pinched herself on the arm. "No."

"Then we must be dead," Elizabeth groaned, "or dying. I've never been in so much pain."

"That's good." Sal sighed, shifting her head in the wet sand. "The pain tells you you're alive. If everything goes numb and you start to feel euphoric, that's when you should start to worry."

Evelyn coughed. Sal's eyes flickered up but she couldn't see her.

"You okay, Ev?"

The toddler patted Sal's head, too breathless to speak.

"Thank goodness," Sal said weakly. "Do you think you can walk to shore by yourself?"

Another pat from Evelyn told Sal she could do it.

"Okay then. I want you to climb off my back and get out of the water. Elizabeth and Destiny will go with you."

"What about you?" Destiny asked. "Aren't you coming on land, too?"

"No, I'm going back underwater." Sal gulped in air. "If this is really Mako Island, then there are mermaids below the surface that call this place home. They will kill us if they think we're a threat, so I have to convince them we're not."

Elizabeth shook her head. "You can't just leave us here. It's dark and we don't know our way around the island. We could get hurt or lost."

"You won't," Sal assured, "because I'm going to tell you where to go, and how to get there."

Destiny pushed herself up onto her elbows. "We're listening."

"One of the legends surrounding Mako Island is that there are caves all over the place," Sal stated. "Most of them can only be accessed underwater, but there is one that has a land entrance."

Intrigued, Elizabeth and Destiny scooted closer to Sal. She explained that in the heart of the island there was a jungle. In this jungle there was a stream. If the girls followed the stream, it would lead them to a series of giant boulders. Somewhere amongst those boulders was a gap big enough for three small children to fit through.

"That's the entrance to the cave," Sal finished. "You should be safe there, so don't  move until I come back. Understand?"

The girls nodded reluctantly. Evelyn clambered off Sal's back and stumbled onto the beach. Elizabeth followed her, but Destiny held back.

"What if they don't believe you?" she asked, her voice shaking.

Sal was quiet. She wasn't sure how to respond without lying or scaring her sister.

"I'll make them."

Destiny smiled. "That's the Sal I know and love."

No words could express how much Sal loved Destiny, so she just grabbed her hand and squeezed it. 

Once Elizabeth had her legs back, she pulled Evelyn onto her lap. She brushed her baby sister's hair with a shell she found, conveniently shaped like a comb. Destiny crawled onto the beach and regained her legs. Before joining Elizabeth and Evelyn, she turned around to wave goodbye, but Sal was already gone.