Episode 10-The Fight

Sal stood guard so her sisters could sleep. Aside from Nancy, the girls hadn't slept for twenty four hours. Adrenaline had been their main source of energy. It had kept them going from the goblin attack to the bomb to the search for Mako, but now it was time to rest. The girls had to get whatever sleep they could because this was the calm before the storm. Everything they just endured was nothing compared to what was next.

It was quiet. Sal tuned into sounds she hadn't noticed before. The waves lapping gently outside the cave. Water dripping into the pool from the stalagmites. A faint breeze whistling from the land entrance, echoing into music. It was so catchy that Sal found herself humming along.

The song she chose wasn't common among mermaids. It was a simple lullaby from Rohan, her mother's kingdom back in Middle Earth. A soothing melody meant to comfort those whose futures were uncertain, but Sal didn't feel comforted. She just felt sad.

"I miss her too."

The humming cut off abruptly as Sal spun around. She hadn't realized anyone was listening.

Nancy blinked at Sal, her eyes nostalgic and grim.

"How did you know I was thinking of mom?" Sal asked softly.

"You were humming the song of the Rohirrim," Nancy said wistfully. "It wasn't that hard to figure out."

Sal gazed up through the hole in the ceiling. The stars were fading as dawn approached.

"I wonder if she's up there," Sal murmured, "or if there's even anything up there at all."

"I'd like to think there is." Nancy swished her tail from side to side, sending little ripples across the moonpool. "We come into the world as ugly caterpillars, so why shouldn't we leave as beautiful butterflies?"

Sal lowered her gaze to the moonpool. "Because we don't deserve it. Humans are terrible, just look what they did to LA."

"We're not completely human, though," Nancy pointed out. "Besides, you shouldn't blame an entire race for the actions of a few morons. Not all humans are bad."

This was wisdom Sal couldn't refute, so she didn't argue. After a while Nancy spoke again.

"I don't know what comes after this, but I know people, human or not, are too amazing to just... disappear. There has to be something. It wouldn't be fair if there wasn't."

Sunlight stretched into the cave but Sal felt colder than ever.

"Life isn't always fair, Nancy," Sal muttered. "Sometimes it's cruel for no reason and you have to accept it."

Nancy's mouth opened in protest but Sal had already moved on from the conversation.

"Girls, wake up." Sal nudged her sisters gently. "The sooner we leave, the sooner we can get to LA and find Jack."

At the mention of Jack, Nancy's eyes widened to the size of moons. She'd forgotten all about him!

"Oh my cheesecake!" Nancy shouted. "Sal, I totally forgot to tell you! I already found Jack!"

"What?!" Sal exclaimed. "When?"

"Yesterday, at the warehouse," Nancy squealed. "He pulled me from the wreckage of the bomb and came to visit me at the hospital. He saved me!"

Gears began turning in Sal's mind that put up walls around her heart. It couldn't have been that easy. Not after the day they just had.

"Are you sure it was him?" Sal asked, skeptical. 

"Yes!" Nancy shrieked. "Jack Bauer, dad's best friend since high school. I told him who I was and he remembered me!"

Gasps came from Elizabeth and Destiny.

"You know what this means?" Elizabeth asked excitedly.

"We're safe!" Destiny cheered. "Jack will take care of us until daddy gets home and then we can save the rest of our sisters!"

Evelyn didn't quite understand what was happening, but she was still clapping her hands gleefully. Sal, however, had some concerns.

"Nancy, I'm not so sure we should go to Jack anymore."

The happiness in the air was sucked out of the cave. Nancy stared coolly at Sal.

"Why not?"

"You just said he rescued you from the explosion," Sal said. "That means he's with some type of law enforcement, otherwise he wouldn't have been allowed to get anywhere near that warehouse. And in case you haven't noticed, we're avoiding the police right now because they think we kidnapped you."

Nancy shook her head. "I don't understand."

Sal took a deep breath. The more she thought about it, the more it made sense and the worse she felt.

"If we go to Jack Bauer, I'll get arrested for child abduction. We'll be separated."

"That's ridiculous," Destiny protested. "He'll understand once we explain what happened. He'll help us. He would never betray us."

"You have to remember he has a commitment to the law," Sal countered. "He wouldn't put his job at risk for a couple of kids he hasn't seen in years. He has a family of his own he needs to take care of."

"You weren't there," Nancy snapped. "You didn't see the look on his face when he realized who I was. He's looking for me, I know he is, and when I find him, I'm going to tell him everything. He'll protect us, just like dad said. You'll see."

Nancy's tail smacked the water and she dove under. Elizabeth and Destiny cried out in alarm, but Sal wasn't fazed. This was just like Nancy to get angry and storm off, but she wouldn't leave them. In fact, Sal guaranteed that Nancy was waiting for them right outside the cave, arms crossed and pouting.

"Hold your breath, Ev." Sal grabbed her baby sister from the edge of the pool. "We're going back under."

Apprehensively, the Drew girls filed out of the moonpool. Mako Island was uninhabited once again.