Episode 21-The Devil Himself

Sal had been prepared to use brute force to open the door, but she didn't even have to touch it. It moved on its own. The door swung back on its hinges and the single yellow light Nancy had told her about winked at her from the back of the room. 

This was it. The moment Sal had been dreading her whole life. She was going to speak with the man she couldn't bear to call father. The man she always knew had a hand in her mother's death. The man who took her sisters.

Ignoring the sense of foreboding that came over her, Sal stepped into the darkness. 

"Hello?" 

Sal's voice echoed back to her. The only sound was her own harsh breathing, but she knew she wasn't alone. The eerie silhouette of a man sat still beneath the yellow light. 

"I know you're here," she said. "There's no point in hiding. Tell me where my sisters are or we'll banish you to Purgatory."

Silence. 

Sal began to worry at her bottom lip. The thought of hearing his voice made her queasy, but the silence was worse. It meant he was planning something, most likely an escape. The chances of her surviving were high since she was his daughter, but the others... 

She couldn't let him slip away. Not this time.

"I don't know who you think I am, sweetheart," the man finally said, "but I can tell you one thing. Purgatory doesn't scare me. Nothing does."

The voice Sal had been expecting would have been rough and gravelly. This one was smooth and complacent. It sounded like a generic male voice, one you wouldn't notice in a crowd because it blended with all the other voices. The hairs on the back of Sal's neck raised.

"You're not my father," Sal stammered, reaching for the doorframe to steady herself. 

"Well I hope not," the man laughed. "I already have one kid to look after. I don't need two. Actually, I think you've met him. Tall, blond, likes nougat?" 

It took Sal a minute to figure out who the man was talking about, but then she remembered the blue eyed boy she'd met a few hours ago. 

"Jack? You're  Jack's father?" Sal said disbelievingly.

The man mockingly gasped. "Guilty is charged. But I'm surprised you're surprised. Sam and Dean love to parade my  son around like he's their own, so I thought they would've told you about me."

"I'm not here to talk about Jack," Sal hissed. "I want to know how the hell my little sister mistook you for my father."

"Ah, yes, little Nancy Drew," the man purred. "Sugar and spice really does make everything nice when it comes to that girl. She's tough, like her father, but she's got her mother's heart. Were it not for that pesky destiny of hers, she could've been a super sleuth."

Fear gutted Sal of her courage like a fish. How did this man know so much about Nancy? And what did he mean by destiny ?

"Who are you?" Sal demanded. "How do you know these things?"

"Oh, it's okay honey," the man cooed. "I know everything about everyone. Their secrets, their desires, their sins. I call it a hobby but some might say it's my job."

Get out, Sal's inner voice urged. Get out before it's too late.

"You didn't answer my question," Sal said. "I asked for your identity, not your occupation. Who are you?"

The man tilted his head thoughtfully. 

"I'm not sure you could handle it, dear. It's quite frightening."