Episode 9-Deadly Friendships

The following takes place between 6:00 A.M. and 7:00 A.M.

The sky was a faint blue in Los Angeles. The sun would be rising soon. It was going to beat down on CTU as it always did in the summer, so Tony rolled up his sleeves to prepare. 

His desk was more bare than he would've liked. There wasn't much evidence to figure out who took the patient from room 35. No forced entry, no fingerprints, and the only lead the witnesses were able to provide was the mysterious singing that may or may not have been real. None of it made sense. 

"Tony!" someone bellowed from the first floor. "Where is she!" 

Startled, Tony scrambled out of his chair and ran out of his office. He tripped over his own feet as he bounded down the steps. When he made it to the bottom, he saw who had called for him. Jack Bauer. 

"Son of a bitch," Tony muttered under his breath. Jack was about to punch an agent who was trying to restrain him.

Jack's eyes locked with Tony's. His fist stopped mid-punch. There were dark circles under his eyes and his hair was messy. He had, quite literally, just rolled out of bed.

"Where is she?" Jack demanded. "Where's Nancy?" 

"Who's Nancy?" Tony said with confusion.

"She's the girl I rescued from the warehouse yesterday," Jack said through gritted teeth. "The one who was abducted from Franklin Hospital." 

Tony put his hands in his pockets.

"How do you know her name?"

"She told the doctor and he told me," Jack said, his voice rough as sandpaper. "I know her. She's Carson Drew's daughter."

Recognition frayed Tony's nerves. He knew Carson and Jack had been very close back in the day, so the victim being Carson's daughter couldn't have been a coincidence. She was connected to Jack, and that connected Jack to the bomb.

Tony's stomach felt hollow. This wasn't the first time Jack had been at the center of a terrorist plot.

"Let's go somewhere private," Tony said. 

The agent released Jack. He brushed himself off as he followed Tony to his office. The door clicked shut and Tony locked it, then he turned to Jack with the hardest expression Jack had seen him bear.

"Start talking," Tony ordered.

"Carson's a lawyer," Jack stated. "He has many enemies. I think one of them kidnapped Nancy and brought her to that warehouse knowing there would be an explosion." 

"And then kidnapped her again from the hospital?" Tony said skeptically, "leaving behind no evidence whatsoever? I don't know Jack, it doesn't seem very plausible."

"I know, but you have to believe me," Jack pleaded. "If it's who I think it is, then he's good. Too good for the police and even CTU." 

Tony uncrossed his arms with sudden interest.

 "So you think you know who the perpetrator is? You got a name?"

Jack clamped his mouth shut. He did have a name but he couldn't say it. It was too risky.

"Jack, do you know who kidnapped Nancy?" Tony asked again, more forcefully this time.

"I might," Jack said quietly. 

Tony clenched his jaw.

"Who is it?"

"I can't tell you."

"Why not?" 

"Because if I do, it could put your life in danger."

"My life's always in danger, Jack," Tony deadpanned. "Look at me, I'm the director of CTU. If terrorists are going to come after anyone here, it's me. My 'girlfriend' was proof of that."