Chapter 21 - "Would it help if I ran at you?"

Voices echoed off the Juilliard walls, colliding with the sound of hundreds of footsteps. Amelia halted when a girl appeared before her, her eyes beaming with excitement. Amelia sighed inwardly, her expression darkening.

"Hi I'm Maddy," the girl said, reaching out her hand to Amelia.

Amelia glanced at it with a bored expression, though her stomach twisted. Maddy's cheery grin shifted downward a centimeter.

"Anyways. You're Amelia right?".

Amelia made no sign of confirmation except for a single blink.

"So I have a music class with Reynolds, you know Reynolds right?"

Amelia's eyes flickered with a hard glint. She was going to kill Reynolds.

"He said that you knew Sebastian Colfax and so I was wondering if you could give him my album? I think he would really like," Maddy said, her voice eager with hope.

Maddy stared at Amelia for a long while.

"This has been fun, I'm going to leave now," Amelia said.

She stepped around Maddy and blended back into the milling throng. She was halfway to the food court, when another girl stopped her. Amelia groaned and felt her annoyance budding into anger.

"Hi I'm-" the girl started to say.

"No hablo Ingles," Amelia said, and kept moving.

Amelia moved through the crowd, her eyes scanning for Reynolds. She spotted him ten minutes later. She yanked him from his group, and he let out a surprised yelp at the pull. Finding the nearest classroom, she shoved him inside and slammed the door shut. Reynolds stumbled forward.

"Man, Amelia at least buy me dinner first before you jump me," Reynolds said, sounding peeved.

"Why are you telling people that I know Sebastian?!" Amelia demanded.

Reynolds folded his arms and rested nonchalantly against the side of the desk.

"Cause you do," he said, matter of fact.

"That is beside the point. I don't want people knowing I know Sebastian or Danny. Do you know how many people have approached in the last three days?" Amelia said, angrily.

Reynolds shrugged, unconcerned. Amelia clenched her fist.

"It wasn't your place to tell people," Amelia said. 

Amelia stepped back against the wall and slid down, her anger drained. Her body felt tired, she had met more people in the last three days than the whole three years she had been at Juilliard. They all wanted one thing. Sebastian.   

She palmed her eyes, there was little fight left in her from the bombardment of questions and people. Reynolds looked at her crunched up into a tight ball.  The sight startled him more than her anger.

"Look," Reynolds said, "I didn't think it would be a big deal. I only mentioned it to a few people and it was people who had been at the concert, I thought they knew."

"Have you told anyone new?" Amelia asked, quietly.

Reynolds looked guiltily at the floor.

"I need you to stop. Please. And if anyone asks you tell them you were wrong, or you were just joking. I don't care what it is, just please make them stop," Amelia said, her voice weary.

Her arms rested limply on top of her knees. Reynolds looked up and nodded.

"Thank you."

She closed her eyes, feeling the vibrations of hundreds of feet hitting the floor just outside the door. An uncertain silence seeped into the room, blooming and filling the space between them.