Chapter 23 - "How'd you escape?"

"He seriously said that?" Poppy asked.

"Yes Poppy for the fifth time, that's what he said," Amelia said, her voice teetering with annoyance.

Amelia sat on the floor of Poppy's closet, dresses strewn on the floor and Poppy dressed in a slim robe, hovering over her.

"He seriously said, 'he and Danny would stop by for a little bit?' Sebastian said that to you?" Poppy asked again.

"No, I'm sorry I was lying."

Poppy eyed her with annoyance.

"Yes, Sebastian and Danny are stopping by your party tonight. Now can we please move on to some other topic. I hate repetition," Amelia said.

"You're fine. Now back to the really pressing issue, what am I going to wear?" Poppy said, spinning on the carpet to face the rack of clothes.

She started pawing through the layers of dresses, pausing every now and then.

"Who sent the bouquet of flowers, that's by your bed or was that from your parents?" Amelia asked.   

Poppy's hand froze on the dress she was examining.

"Do you have a new suitor?" Amelia asked.

"They're from William," Poppy said, her voice tight with controlled casualness.

"Are they really?" Amelia said, her tone over the top.

"You're annoying, you know that?"

"Charlie's told me this multiple times. When did he send them?"

"This morning, he called as well," Poppy said, her voice betraying her delight.

Amelia gave Poppy a long, calculating look.

"Pops are you serious?"

"Serious about what?" Poppy said, her tone joking.

"How long did you talk?" Amelia asked, her gaze searching Poppy's face.

"I don't know, maybe an hour or so. It wasn't a big deal. Apparently he knows Duke Carington, you know they guy my sister married? So thankfully William can come to my sister's boring parties and I'll have someone to talk to," Poppy said, her tone going chipper.

"You're going out for spring break then? To London?"

"Yup. We finalized the plans two days ago."

Poppy lifted a up a strapless red dress.

"What do you think?"

"I like it," Amelia said, her voice unconvincing even to her ears.

"Why do I ask you these things?" Poppy said, rhetorically.

"I have no idea," Amelia said, with a smug smile.

**************

Music pulsed though out the house, mixing with the sound of chattering voices. Amelia was grabbing a bottle of ginger ale, when a whisper of voices announcing Sebastian Colfax was there caught her ear. Amelia's gaze moved to the entryway and spotted Sebastian and Danny. Turning away, she made a beeline for Poppy.

"Your guests are here," Amelia said, quietly into Poppy's ear.

"Where?" Poppy asked, her voice vibrating with emotion.

"Calm down, you don't want to scare them off with your crazy eyes."

The light in Poppy's eyes dimmed as she gave Amelia a flat look.