Chapter 24 - "I don't know why. Maybe it was my fault."

Amelia rushed past Sebastian as he opened his apartment door.

"It's brilliant! I'm not going to lie, it's brilliant! I was working it out last night and I finally realized what the song needed. It is the last one we are working on anyways," Amelia said, her words tumbling out, as she stopped a few feet away from him.

Pulling out her drum sticks, Amelia lowered herself to the floor and started drumming against it, the sound bright and resonant. Sebastian fought back a laugh as he looked towards the living room. Amelia froze and swiveled her head to the living room as well. Raising from the arm chair with a smooth fluid motion was Chuck Curtis, Sebastian's manger. Amelia pushed herself off the hard floor as Chuck walked over.

"I'm sorry, I didn't realize you had someone here," Amelia said.

"It's fine Ms. Dawson, we were just coming to the end of our conversation. Sebastian, I'll email you all the final details," Chuck said, his focus locking on to Sebastian.

Sebastian nodded.

"It was a pleasure seeing you again, Ms. Dawson," Chuck said.

"Same."

Chuck nodded to both of them and let himself out. Sebastian released his laugh, the sound sweeping away the subtle hint of tension that had creeped into the room. Frowning, Amelia crossed her arms.

"I'm sorry for laughing, it was just kind of funny," he said.

Amelia shook her head.

"Where's Danny?" Amelia asked, noticing his absence. "Please tell me you didn't smother him in his sleep? I know he's a lot, but murder just isn't the right option."

"Don't worry, it hasn't come to that, yet," he said, with a sly grin. "He's at his manager's working over details for his summer tour."

"Okay. How come Chuck was here?" Amelia said, hurriedly adding. "If you don't mind me asking."

Sebastian moved towards the music room, Amelia following.

"We were going over the final details for my trip to LA in a week."

"Why are you going to LA?"

"I'm attending the Grammy's and then I have a photo shoot for my album cover booked right afterwards."

"You're going to the Grammys? Did you get nominated?"

Sebastian nodded, his expression almost bored.

"Yes, I'm up for best single."

Amelia's laugh filled the room with an inviting sound.

"Sorry," she said. "It's just you said that like you were telling me what time your flight leaves. I thought you'd be more excited."

"I guess I've just know for a while and it's kind of lost its excitement. That and I've had a lot on my mind with getting ready and details for the week, interviews and such."

"I'm sorry it's stressful. But for what it's worth, congrats. That's really cool."

Sebastian responded with a crooked smile.

"Thanks, I appreciate it."

The mood in the room shifted, as Sebastian readjusted himself on the arm chair, his silent way of changing the topic back to work.

"Play what you were playing back in the kitchen for me," Sebastian said.

*******

Amelia rubbed her eyes with her thumb and forefinger, her brain a hazy fog of exhausted thoughts, her nerves tight with annoyance.

"I need a break. I feel like there's been more pauses than usual today and I have the urge to punch you," Amelia said, speaking to the floor.