Chapter 37 - "Aims, I don't want you to get hurt."

The ballroom was crowded with lavishly dressed people, silk covered tables and a dance floor waiting to be used. A champagne flute in hand,  Amelia stood with the group of writers near the entrance. Screams erupted from the crowds outside as Danny exited a sleek black car and made his way down the red carpet. The writer's called out to him as he entered the ballroom.

"Aims, you look great," Danny said, coming to stand beside her.

"It's not too much, is it?"she asked.

Poppy had chosen the gold dress and Jules had forced makeup onto her.

"Not at all, you look good," Danny said, calming her fears with a genuine smile.

She released a nervous breath, her shoulders relaxing.

The screams grew almost deafening roar as Sebastian stepped from an SUV. He waved to the hysterical crowd, his smile inviting. His manner was relaxed as he stepped onto the red carpet and hundreds of cameras fought to steal his image, capture something about him they hadn't seen before. He stepped into the ballroom and was instantly surrounded. Amelia watched his movements, a smile sitting on her lips.

"What?" Amelia asked, noticing Danny staring at her.

"Nothing, you just looked happy. I was curious as to whom the look was brought on by."   

Amelia fixed him with a disgruntled glare. Danny's smile was taunting

"Where did you run off today?" Danny asked. "I thought the three of us would hang out. But when I went looking both of you were conveniently gone already."

"Oh, you know, places," Amelia said, vaguely.

"Uh huh."

Amelia's laugh was affectionate, pulling Danny into it's embrace.

It was an hour later before Sebastian was able to break away from his duties as host to make his way over to the group of writers.

"Hey!" Amelia said, after Sebastian tapped her shoulder.

"Aims, you look beautiful," Sebastian said

"Thanks." Her cheeks blossomed with rosy hue, her expression mischievous. "You know sometimes when your hair looks a certain way and the light hits you just so, some would say you look good."   

"Interesting. Are any of those elements at work tonight by any chance?" Sebastian asked.

"Possibly."

"Well, at least you can look good enough to make up for my lack of good looks."

She shrugged and sighed dejectedly.

"If it's a burden I must carry, then I guess I have no choice."

"Good to know you're up for the job, I couldn't think of anyone I would trust more with the task." Sebastian cracked a devilish grin. "Expect maybe Danny, but he's always been the better looking one."

Amelia glanced over at Danny.

"You know, this might sound crazy but I think you are actually better looking. But hey don't let it go to your head, I like it the way it is now."

"Good to know. I'll do my best to keep it this way."

Sebastian was pulled away half an hour later by Chuck. Before he left he turned back to Amelia.

"Will you dance with me tonight?" Sebastian asked.

"Do you really need to ask that?"

"Promise?" he asked, his face eager.