Chapter 26 - "Hey Farewell!"

In a far corner a jut box moaned out a song so classic the fuzziness of the recording dated it. Charlie closed his menu, settling it on the table top. He removed his glasses and palmed his eyes tiredly.

"Working late last night with Natalie?" Amelia asked.

"Yeah."

"What's this? Your forth project together?"

Charlie ran his hand through his disheveled hair and nodded.

"Here you are," a waitress said, setting down two glasses of orange juice. "Are you ready to order?"

"I'll have the Tennessee breakfast, fried eggs," Charlie said, his dimple flashing.

The girl's hand faltered slightly but she managed to keep her smile to a normal size.

"And you?" she asked, turning towards Amelia.

"I'll have The original breakfast, scrambled, sausage instead of bacon."

The girl finished scribbling, took the menus, and took one last look at Charlie. Sighing, Amelia looked at Charlie.

"Are you going to tell me or shall we wait until the food is here?" Amelia asked.

"Tell you what?"

"Charlie, we hardly ever come here. The last time we did, you told me that you got an invite to the Stewart dinner and you wanted to stay in New York for Christmas. Now spill. And if we've come here just for you to tell me you're in love with Natalie then save your breath. You wasted a trip. I already know."

"So I'm a little predictable."

"That would be a yes. Now what is this massive news you want to tell me? If you tell me you're dying, I'll kill you."

"I'm not dying. It's about Spring break. I know we're not going home because you have showcase rehearsals, but..." Charlie hesitated, the words sticking in his throat like dry paste.

"Charles Robert Dawson just spit it out already. You act like you're telling me I have to donate one of my kidneys."

Charlie smiled at this, his eyes taking on a teasing glint. Amelia scowled at him, annoyed with his pleasure in baiting her.

"Some fellow students are taking a road trip to D.C. and asked if I wanted to come with. One of them as a father who owns an apartment there and said we could use it."

"That's it?" Amelia asked. "That is what all this is about? You want to go to D.C. for Spring break? Gosh Charlie! You acted like the freakin' world was coming to an end."

"I don't have to go, I don't want you to have to be alone."

"Charlie, I'm fine. I can be left alone. It was bound to happen at some point. Go have fun rubbing elbows with politicians. Is Natalie part of this group?"

Charlie broke away from her gaze, his eyes suddenly glued on a dot in the table. A smile cut wide across Amelia's face.

"She's the one that invited you, wasn't she?"

Charlie looked up, his face under control, and gave a noncommittal shrug.

"I'm glad, maybe doing something other than studying together will help you relax around her."

"Or I'll make a complete idiot of myself and ruin everything. Why is she so freakin' perfect?" Charlie said, frustratedly, his head falling into his arms.

Amelia patted the top of his head mockingly.

"There, there, who knows, maybe in D.C. you'll find a really stupid girl with no social skills and bad hair. Cheer up Charlie there's still a chance that could happen."