Chapter 6~ Jason

Chapter 6

Jason

It's around 9:00pm when I get a text from Camryn:

Heyy! I have an idea to solve R "situation". I'll talk 2 U during Game Night. U can come over now if U want btw

In slight confusion, I grab my car keys, and yell to my mom that I'm going over to Camryn's for Game Night.

In response, she yells, "Okay, sweetie! Tell John, Susan and Cami I said hi. Oh, and text me if you decide to sleep over- if you do, you two don't share a bed, okay? You know that already. Have fun, love you!"

I shake my head, embarrassed at what she said. I know it's like 'parent protocol', but Bridge and I aren't "like that". (I'm not even "like that" with anyone.)

After a quick "I love you" back, I shut the front door, and walk to my car. I slowly turn the key and start to back up, checking in my rearview mirror. I turn on my Bluetooth, and let Greenday, my favorite band, blast through the car. Smelling my dirty cleats and shin guards in the backseat makes me think of what Camryn would have to say about my "soccer-sweat stench". I laugh after the short ride, thinking about the probability of that happening, and park the car along the street.

I pull out my spare key to the apartment and place it inside the keyhole. After I step inside the beloved bookstore, I'm not surprised to hear the ring of bells swinging back and forth above the door. Alerted by the noise, Camryn runs downstairs and engulfs me in a friendly hug.

"Our problems will all disappear... but first, Game Night!" She points her finger in the air, and races upstairs, making me laugh at her craziness. I stand there, puzzled at what her plans might be, but not for long, as I follow suit and run upstairs along with her.

The instant I'm in Camryn's room, she motions for me to take a seat on her bed, as she claims the hanging chair. She smiles at me shyly.

"Actually, I change my mind. I want to tell you the plan now, just... hear me out."

"Okay Bridget, whatever you say." I laugh uneasily, "I'm all ears."

With a deep breath, she begins nervously: "Okay, so lately, I've been thinking a lot about our little dilemma, what happened today, and how we could show everyone at school that they're wrong. I was reading my book, also on my computer, and staring at a picture of us together, all while marveling at the beauty that is Matthew Clyde- "

I sigh and roll my eyes, gesturing for her to continue.

"Anyways, all this was happening, when everything seemed to come together at once. Why don't you and me... us... together...Camryn and Jason...Bridge and Jase- "

"Bridget, get to the point!" I exclaim.

...

"Why don't we date?"

I start choking on the air flowing into my lungs, if that's even possible. I can't seem to stop choking, and coughing, and blushing. Lowering my head, I stare at the grey carpeting on the bedroom floor and say, "What exactly do you mean by that?"

"Well," she starts, staring at me worriedly, "I think that if we pretend to be dating, we can show everyone the difference between what it means to be best friends and what it means to be in a relationship. Then, whenever we decide to, maybe at the Winter Formal or something, we can 'break up'. That's when we'd tell everyone that it was all fake and that we did it to show them there is a major difference. It would also prove to them that you and I can pretend to date, and not fall for each other, because we would never actually date in the first place."