Chapter 12~ Camryn

Chapter 12

Camryn

A few days later, I wake up to a loud bang, and fall ungracefully out of bed.

As I look up, I see none other than an ecstatic-looking Jason standing above me, a pot and spoon in hand. The clock on my nightstand flashes 5:00AM; I groan loudly.

"Ja-" I begin, before being cut off.

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY CAMRYN BRIDGET MOORE! YOU ARE NOW 17 YEARS OLD! HOW DOES IT FEEL OLD-LADY?" Jason shouts down at me, a giant smile on his face.

"Ugghh," I reply, burying my face in the carpet and sighing. "It's way too early to even be alive right now," I add sarcastically, my voice muffled.

All of the sudden, Jason bends down and picks me up off the floor. He lifts and squeezes me tight against him; engulfing me in a giant bear-hug.

"Come on birthday girl, get excited! I have a super fun day planned! Obviously, we're calling in sick today from school, because there is simply too much to do," Jason announces a little too loudly. "We have to get a move on if we want to make our time slot."

I send him a questioning glance, before being shoved into my attached bathroom.

I roll my eyes as Jason yells from the other side of the door, "Hurry up with your primping. I'll be back in half an hour to get you. I have to go pick something up."

I respond with a tired 'Okay' and start my morning routine.

After I finish putting on my makeup, I desperately run around the room, picking out random clothes from my closet and brushing my hair at the same time. Jason sure as well knows that I'm not the kind of person to get ready in less than 30 minutes; my makeup alone takes ten. At least I'm not as bad as Dina, though. If she was in my place, she would have Jason waiting outside for an hour while she's still picking out her outfit.

With a quick shuffle towards the window, I glance out and see grey skies; the moon still slightly glimmering behind numerous clouds. I lift up the glass and immediately slam it back down, once a small gust of freezing cold wind comes in contact with my bare skin. Not knowing how cold of a trip I'm getting myself into, I slip on some long skinny jeans and a long-sleeve sweater that says: There's no way you woke up like that. It perfectly describes almost every early-morning situation in Oregon. My Uggs come on shortly after, followed by a messy bun at the top of my head. A couple of loose strays lay against my face, so I gently tuck them behind my ear. A faint knock echoes down the hallway, and I immediately recognize Jason's voice when he calls out, "You ready yet, Bridge?"

I reach over my bed, yell back, "I'll be there in a second!" and grab my coat.

Tiptoeing down the stairs, as to not wake up my sleeping family, Jason holds out his arms in a wide gesture. "Your carriage a-waits," he exclaims, escorting me to his convertible.

The ride to our mystery destination is silent, but not awkward, like that time driving home from school, a little bit ago. Jason shakes slightly in my peripheral vision, either from excitement, nervousness, the cold, or all three, I can't really tell. The blurry scenery of the main town flashes by as we drive past. The car pulls up to the bottom of a lush green hill-a rare sight to see in November.

Still not speaking, Jason tugs me up the hill by my arm, and stops when we get to the top of the 'small mountain'. He whispers, "Close your eyes".

As I do, I hear Jason's footsteps come and go, car doors opening and closing, and the rustling of the grass. Something bushy and sweet-smelling is thrust into my hands.