Chapter 4

"Hey Paige" they all say in unison.

"Hey guys" I say giving Ava a hug and the boys a smile. "Mum says Y'all can come out this afternoon if you want. I'll drive cause yous catch the bus. You know I can pick yous up in the morning right!"

"Sounds good and that would be good" says Ava smiling.

"Yep sure" says Mason.

"Mmmm Kay" says Lucas which makes us all laugh.

We start talking when the bell goes. I walk to my locker with Mason. Our lockers are next to each other and we are in all the same classes.

"Hey Mas?"

"Yea"

"What do we have first?" I say slightly laughing.

"Science" he says "do you want to be partners?"

"I'd love to" I say closing my locker.

To be honest, I've liked Mason for ages now. We've known each other since we were 2. Same as Ava and I. We all met Lucas when we were 4. We're all 17 now and I've liked Mason since I was 11 but I don't think he likes me back.

When we get to the lab I get my lab coat and glasses and sit down next to Mason. We start talking when I get a text. Class doesn't start for another 5 minutes so I pull out my phone and read the text.

Meet me at the office NOW- Mum

I show Mason the message and he comes with me. We hang out lab coats and glasses. I quickly run down to the office and through the wooden doors. I walk over to mum and see she's been crying.

"Mum? What's wrong?" I ask softly.

"Your Nans in hospital" she says quietly sobbing.

"Which Nan?" Asks Mason.

"Mason. Mums mum died 4 years ago. That's why Pop lives with us" I say quietly.

"Ohh yea. I'm sorry Paige" he says embracing me in a small hug.

I return the hug and turn back to Mum.
"What happened Mum? Is it serious?"

"She has a brain tumour. Right in the middle of her brain. She has a 20% chance of living"

At that moment I sink to my knees. First I start sobbing then next I know I'm balling my eyes out. My head is in my hands and the tears are running down my arms. I'm on the office floor in tears. I can't lose my Nan. Not another one. I'm to close to her since I lost my other nan.
After about 2 minutes I am embraced in a hug. I know this hug, it's Ava. I grip her arm with both my hands and keep crying.

"Paige it's okay. Mason told Lucas and I what happened. We're here for you"

"How about I sign you 4 out and Paige will take you back out to our place and you can spend the rest of the day riding and all. Sound good?"

"Yes pleas" we all say.

Mum signs us out and we walk to my ute. We throw our bags in the tray and I close the cover. I jump in the drivers seat and wait til everyone's in.

"Paige it's gonna be alright. I promise" says Ava rubbing my arm trying to comfort me.

"I need to go to the shops to get some things and duck into horse land"

"Anything" says Mason and they all agree.

I reverse out of the parking lot and drive off the Woolworths. I find a park and we get out. I walk into the lollie isle. I grab some starbursts? Pods and lots more chocolates and lollies.