Chapter 23

"How is he?" Mum asked the doctor.

He pulled her away from Chris, Ava, Dad and I. I sat, my legs shaking uncontrollably as we waited anxiously. 
Mum walked back over crying.

"He... he is on life support" she said.

I felt the warm tears roll down my face as more puddled in my eyes. I put my head in my hands and the tears spilt over and ran down my arms. 

"What are his chances?" asked Ava, as she took one of my hands in hers.

I looked up as she shook her head lightly. "Not much" she said "His injuries are very severe, he has already been through two surgeries" 

"Are we allowed to see him?" I asked quietly.

Mum nodded, "Not to many at a time though" 

"You and Phil go first" said Chris. 

Dad hadn't said a work, he looked up confused when he heard his name. Mum took his hand and they walked down the hall together. 

We watched as Mum spoke slowly to dad, no one had said anything about Dad and whatever was going on with him. 

"You alright?" Chris asked moving to the seat next to me.

I shook my head. "Why did this happen to him, why couldn't it have happened to me?"

"Hey" said Ava, "He would rather it be him than you, you don't need to start that crap"

"Ava is right, he would be glad that it was him. I know we aren't but we will go and see him soon" added Chris.

My phone buzzed in my lap and Ava took it, "It's Lucas, do you want me to answer it?" 

I nodded, "Tell him what's happening"

She answered it and stood up, walking towards the other side of the hall.

"Everything will work out" she said. 

"I can't do this" I said, "If I lose him, I don't know what I will do with myself" 

She rubbed my arm gently, "We won't lose him"

I sobbed as she held me closer, my eyes began to sting and my cheeks wet. It stayed this way until Mum and Dad came walking down the hall. Ava walked back over to us and took her spot next to me again. Mum's eyes were swollen and red.

"Chris and Ava" she said. "You two go in and see him, Paige can see him alone if she wants to"

They all looked at me and I nodded. Ava and Chris stood up and walked down the hall until they disappeared around a corner. I looked up at mum who was standing on the other side of the hall, alone, as Dad sat in his chair, his back was slouched and his eyes were heavy. I moved to the chair next to him and rested my head on his shoulder as he put an arm around mine. 
Although Dad hadn't been himself for a while, moments like this were still good. 
Ava walked out alone and sat down, not long after Chris came out, she had tears running down her face as I got up and walked to her. She wrapped me in a hug and then stood back.

"You can go see him now" she said giving me a reassuring smile. 

I gave her one back as I walked down the hall towards his room. The hospital seemed darker than usual and it made me nervous. A chill ran down my spine and I threw my hands around myself almost like I was trying to stay warm. When I reached his room, the blinds were closed and the door was locked into place. I took a deep breath in and pushed the door open slowly, the tears spilt over as I saw him lying helplessly in the bed. The tubes in him made it look like he was almost breathing and the beeping of the machines echoed throughout the deadly silent room. I closed the door behind me and walked slowly towards the chair next to his bed.