12 :: Why A Knight in Shining Armor Sucks

CHAPTER 12: Why A Knight in Shining Armor Sucks

Emma's one of those girls who can be invisible in a hallway full of students. That might have been the reason why it took me two days to bump into her again. And when I did, it was after school in the parking lot.

I caught a glimpse of her frizzy, platinum blonde hair as she dawdled across the field with her head ducked down. I couldn't see her full face but the spiked choker she was wearing was a telltale sign.

Besides, it wasn't hard to spot her. Her all-black outfit was a hard contrast to the snow-covered ground. Black certainly is  a color for all seasons.

I heaved my bag inside my pickup and shut the door. I was going home, but Emma showed up just in the nick of time. She was making her way to the gates when she passed by a group of socialites. I recognized most of them. They lived up by Louie's subdivision.

"Hide your trash, a raccoon's on the loose." The girl in the yellow turtleneck sweatshirt was the first one to jeer. Quinn, I think was her name. I wasn't sure. But I was familiar with her face. It wasn't the only part of her I was familiar with.

"That's a raccoon? I thought it is the trash," sniggered one of her friends.

Emma rolled her eyes and sighed in annoyance. "If I weren't on parole right now, you bitches would be in the dumpster, learning the real meaning of the word trash."

"What was that?" Quinn-or-not-Quinn asked in a sickly sweet voice. "I didn't understand, I don't speak garbage."

That's it! I'm all for witty throwdowns but Quinn's retorts were getting more and more petty by the second.

"No, I don't think even garbage would want to talk to you, Quinn," I said, stepping beside the bullied goth.

She scoffed. "It's Gwen," she corrected, flipping her brown hair over her shoulder. So that's her name! I didn't hear her name clearly when she said it before. I guess all the moaning drowned it out.

But that's right! Gwen Bellingham was even on my list of suspects before, until Louie ruled her out because of sluttiness. I'm not holding that against her. That'd be hypocritical of me. It just ruled her out because, as Louie pointed out, she probably lost her virginity way before I... came in her picture.

Gwen eyeballed Emma and me. "And really? You're stepping in for the witch, Trev?"

I shrugged. "I guess I am."

"What, is she, like, your new fuckbuddy? Is that it?"

I shook my head simply. "Nah, we only had sex once and it was a month ago –"

Emma elbowed my side with such a force, I missed a breath. Okay, I deserved that. Watch your mouth, Trev. Next time you run it, Emma would probably aim at a lower region. Reminding myself that, I decided to make it up with the next that came out of my mouth.

I continued, "And I gotta say, Emma's a lot better in bed that you."

Gwen's face widened in shock.  Whoops! Cat's out of the bag.  Her group of trust fund babies gasped at the sudden revelation. 

"You slept with him?" one of her cronies questioned.  The way she said my pronoun like it was scum on her mouth would have offended me, but the only one offended in the scenario was Gwen.

Too appalled to even think of a comeback, she twirled around and left. Her cronies followed suit, probably to confirm whether their little queen bee went down and dirty with the likes of me once.