14 :: Sucker Match

CHAPTER 14: Sucker Match

"Pass it to Ronaldo! Pass it to Ronaldo!!!" Sage kept shouting at the lifeless screen in front of us.

I've brought a lot of girls home but Sage has got to be the loudest. It's ironic because we're not even doing... what I usually do to make girls scream, yet she's yelling as if her life depended on it.

She is the most annoying gamer ever!

I don't understand how something so small could produce such loud sounds. If she weren't a girl I would have stuffed her controller in her mouth and tied the cord around her neck.

After letting her stay, I invited her to play FIFA to kill the awkwardness and boredom. I plugged the console Louie handed down to me as a gift for my 15th birthday. It's secondhand but it was the best present I ever got. That's what you get when you've got rich friends.

It's an epic match between FC Barcelona and Real Madrid. If you're a soccer fan, you would already know that Sage is controlling Real Madrid and I'm with Barca.

The scores were 2-4 and I was two points behind but it's only because she keeps shouting orders and profanities at the TV screen and it's making me lose focus.

"Would you shut up?! You're making me lose my game!" I shouted at her with eyes glued to the screen and thumbs furiously murdering the controller.

"Typical noob excuse," she said and kept on shouting at the screen! "Come on, Morata! Show the world you're not just a pretty face with a jersey and thousand-dollar cleats!"

Why was she even shouting? It's not like the players were gonna hear her. Nice pep talk and all, but guess what, Sage. They can't hear you!

"Haha! Suck on that, Dewirth!" I screamed triumphantly as Neymar scored a goal. 3-4! I've got this game in the bag!

"Lucky shot. I was having a hard time seeing the ball because of the glare on the TV," she pathetically excused.

"Typical noob excuse," I copied her.

"Shut up," she said, stretching out her right leg to kick me.

She's pretty feisty for a small person who has just injured her left ankle.

"How's Kaye?" I asked, out of the blue.

"Great. She's going back to school on Tuesday," she answered still focusing on the screen.

Yes!

"Cool. Why was she in the hospital in the first place?" I asked.

"Some problem with her cervix. They said it was torn when she had her abortion," she casually answered, making me drop my controller.

I don't know what shocked me more, the news about Kaye or how calm and nonchalant Sage sounded about it. She didn't even turn to look at me. It's like she just told me something as ordinary as, "Mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell."

"What?!" I shrieked. "Kaye had an abortion?! How come we didn't hear abou--"

I was cut off by the applause coming from the TV.

"Christiano Ronaldo scores another goal!" the commentator announced making my head snap back to the TV.

Ronaldo was showboating and the score was 3-5, Real Madrid on the lead.

"You're so gullible!" said Sage then burst out on fits of laughter. "You shoulda seen your face!"

That trickster! I thought as I narrowed my eyes at her. She was ROFL. I grabbed my controller and quickly made Messi charge forward and make the goal. Sage stopped laughing when she heard the Barca fans jeer.