05 :: Pussycat

CHAPTER 5: Pussycat

"Where's my bra?"

"Here," I answered, picking it up from the window sill. Don't even ask how it got there.

Cassie went over and took it, saying, "Thanks."

"No problem," I replied, combing my hair with my hand. "You want a lift home?"

"Nah," she answered, slipping her shirt back on. I was expecting that kind of answer from Cassie. She never let me take her home once. Yeah, I've been in her house a couple of times in the past when we would fool around. But when it came to giving her a simple ride home, it's always no.

"Oh, come on," I persisted this time. "You ride me all the time, why don't you ride with me for a change?"

She shot me an unamused glare. "Trevor, Lally's home. You should be watching her."

I rolled my eyes. God, responsibilities. I hated them.

The most I could do for Cassie was walk her out the door. Her house is on the eastside of town, she's gonna have to take the bus. I waved goodbye as she started walking towards the nearest bus stop.

Just as Cassie disappeared from my sight, a clatter came from upstairs. Lally's room. I immediately sprinted up there to see what was going on.

A couple more commotions echoed through when I neared her door. Without even knocking, I stepped inside, finding the gap-toothed kid in pigtails standing right in the middle of the floor. Properly, I might add. She was standing like a freaking military cadet. Except, she was smiling widely.

"What's going on?" I questioned.

"Nothing," she answered quickly. And I might have bought it but then, her green eyes shot from corner to corner.

I crossed my arms. "Lally," I said in a warning tone.

Before she could deny whatever it was that she was hiding, a noise came from underneath her bed. Her eyes widened. That was my cue. I bent down to see what was under there. Then suddenly, a black stray cat leaped out, baring its claws.

I recoiled just in time to dodge the scratching and the cat jumped out of the window, hissing on its way.

"Whiskers! No!" Lally exclaimed, running to the window. She lifted herself up to the sill and was ready to jump hadn't I snaked an arm around her waist and pulled her back to her room.

"Are you crazy?!"

"You scared her!" she yelled back, struggling out of my hold.

"It was a male cat, Lally," I said, settling her down on the foot of her bed once she stopped struggling. "Didn't you see the balls under its tail?"

"Still!" she whined. "It was my cat."

I shook my head. "Nuh-uh. You know how dad feels about keeping stray animals in the house. Should I remind you of the little skunk incident last week?"

"I thought it was a chipmunk, okay?" she huffed, pouting her lips and crossing her arms over her chest.

I sighed and walked over to the window. The black cat - Whiskers - was still on the tree right by Lally's room. It hissed when it saw me. I scrunched up my nose in disdain. But then, I noticed something. I leaned over the window and squinted a little, then I saw. The cat had something around its neck.

I quickly glared back at Lally, who I didn't even realize was already standing beside me. I looked back at the cat just to be sure. Yup. Whiskers was wearing a necklace. Not just any necklace. It was our mom's turquoise necklace. It was probably the most expensive thing we had in our house, give or take. And, now, it was worn by a freaking cat.