030

Fleeing the room, Justin took hurried steps down the long carpeted corridor

Fleeing the room, Justin took hurried steps down the long carpeted corridor. At the end, he spied the cracked door of the master bedroom. It was the same room that Justin had witnessed Blink flying from in silent sobs. It was the room that held her sickly father.

Taking a left just before the room, he was already taking on the dozens of steps, skipping two at a time to cut his descend shorter. Taking a right this time, he was in the living room where the tv was playing another reality show rather loud and a sweating glass of brown liquor was sat on the rectangular coffee table.

Striding through the room, he was let into the all white kitchen. Compared to the rest of the house it was pretty small, clean and expensive nonetheless, but small and consisting of nothing more than a far wall composed of all white cabinets, silver appliances, and further to the right was a white granite breakfast bar.

At one of the tall stools with her back to him was Blink. In front of her was a silver rimmed mug, her hand held firmly to it, while her other hand supported her head which rested on the bar. Her mother stood dauntingly across the counter from her, the same scowl appointing her face and slivered into her features as she stood with her arms crossing her chest.

Blink couldn't have possibly seen him enter with the way she was facing, and her mother didn't seem to notice his appearance either. Either that or she just didn't care. He decided it was definitely the first because despite his presence, he watched from the doorway as Blink's mother snatched the mug from Blink's grasp. Both females ignored the bit of brown contents that sloshed from the cup and onto the granite countertop. "Look at me when I'm talking to you!"

Suddenly Blink's head did snap up, her hair sprawling down her back as she turned to focus on her mother's eyes. "Can I have my cup back...please?" The endearment was sarcastic, but her mother granted her simple plea.

"Caffeine isn't good for you, Diem" her mother tisked.

"Neither is sleeping in a van and working four jobs...but what can I say" Blink threw back.

"That's your own fault dear." Her mother chuckled lightly, ripping a paper towel from the roll to remove the ring of spilt coffee along the counter.

The conversation was halted for a minute when her mother pulled a pack of cigarettes across the counter, removing one of the slim cream sticks and quickly lighting it. Bringing it to her lips, she inhaled sharply, breathing her line of smoke in Blink's direction. "Do you want one?" She motioned to the carton.

Although Justin couldn't see Blink's eyes, he could almost sense the debate flicker back and forth within the walls of her mind. She'd worked so hard to quit, even picking up the stupid habit of eating candy licorice instead, but the enchanting smell of the smoke drew her in every time.

"Don't do it, Blink" Justin muttered lowly under his breath, still not drawing the attention of either female.

"No," Blink shook her head hastily, "I don't smoke anymore." Her eyes were pointed towards her mother as she spoke.

"Rellik, you remember Rellik..." Her mother only nodded, resting against the counter with her ankles crossed as she listened for once. "He had a little scare a year or so ago. We were out in the backwoods smoking and he just...collapsed. He'd been having heart problems since he was little, but after that incident the doctors told him that he had a hole in his heart. A condition called ischemic heart disease. Something about the vessels in his heart diminishing..." Blink stopped when she noticed she was rambling and surprisingly her mother was still listening.

"Sounds serious" her mom shrugged all while inhaling the very thing that was causing Rellik's problem.

"That's why we both agreed to stop...although I think I'm the only one who held up my end" Blink shrugged.

"You always are" her mother laughed.

In between those few seconds, Blink was angry again. Even if she was the only one to feel her heart rate increase, Justin could spot her rising anger from feet away. "Yeah speaking of that, have you just decided that you're no longer going to pay my tuition?"

"Oh Diem, it must have slipped my mind." Her mother turned to stub the remnants of her cigarette in the glass ashtray.

"Slipped your mind?" Blink chuckled harshly. Shoving the lukewarm cup of coffee far away from her, she stood to match her mother's height who stood on the other side of the breakfast bar.

"I'm here nearly every week to teach Althea whatever the hell you want me to for some fucked up reason and yet you can't be a decent fucking mother and pay for my schooling? Are you kidding me?" Her breathing was heavy now and her voice was grave.

"Watch your mouth, Diem!" Her mom gasped. It was all a show and both teens knew it.

"Stop calling me that!" Blink sniped.

"Don't you dare call me an indecent mother and spew that shit at me. I don't care if you can't afford your little prep school or high class boyfriends. Drop out then" she shrugged. 

"I only made that deal because I thought you being here on occasion would benefit your sister. Instead, the girl can't remember a damn thing you teach her aside from that fucking nickname you carry around like a disease." Her mother was like a snake, her fangs sharp and her eyes malicious as she slithered around on Blink's feelings.

"A girl like you doesn't deserve to go to a school like that period...the only reason you do is so that you're far enough away to not paint your sister a failure like those god awful paintings you used to paint. How dare you sit down here like some lost little girl, drinking my coffee out of my cup and insulting such a beautiful name with your existence."

She snatched the cup of coffee, dumping it eccentrically into the sink before she was around the counter and pulling Blink up harshly by her upper arm.

Justin stood his ground then, striding further into the kitchen and up to Blink's side where he laid a soft hand to her lower back. Grabbing a hold of her mother's wrist, Justin let it go just as quickly, as if it had burned him, before he glanced over at Blink. She was facing the ground, her glassy eyes focusing on the immaculate white tiling and her locks of chocolate hair shielding her face.

Pressing a kiss to Blink's hair and pulling the suddenly mute girl into his side, he stared in utter repulsion at the woman in front of her.

"Oh Jesus, Justin... What happened to your face? Did one of the suits get to you too?" She joked unhealthy. Earning a scowl of his own from Justin who urged Blink away from her mom. "Go upstairs to Althea, she's a bit stressed and she needs you" he whispered.

Blink's mouth opened to protest but at the last second she nodded slowly, turning to head out of the kitchen. She stopped just before she was out the door, turning to see if Justin was going to follow her. Shaking his head to answer her question, he smiled quickly "Be nice" His eyebrow raised in suggestion to her previous behavior with her sister.

"You too" Blink's eyes flew over his shoulder to the image of her mother.

Comment & Vote xx