053

The colors were bright

And the sounds were loud.

So loud—

Like a gunshot that's so loud, that even when you cover your ears, it still doesn't seem to quell the noise.

Justin looked up into the night sky, his eyes filled with childlike wonder and happiness while his arm wrapped around Blink's shoulders, pulling her in until he could sloppily peck her cheek closest to him.

She giggled, trying and failing to pull away from him. He was doing anything he could to make her forget about all the nonsense back at campus. Maybe it wasn't so much nonsense. He couldn't say the events of Blink's life were mere nonsense, but whatever it was, he wanted her away from it. He thought she deserved to be away from it. He was sure she'd been through enough shit to last a lifetime.

After treating her to dinner and ice-cream (which was pretty hard to find in Maine when the temperature was in the thirties) the two now sat at the end of a pier on a private beach. Blink remained pretty silent, but Justin could tell the difference between the moments she was momentarily distracted from her troubles and focused on him.

As Blink adjusted her scarf to better shield her neck from the bitter wind, the show in front of her continued.

It was New Years.

Minutes before the two had shared a meaningful kiss at the start of midnight. Now the fiery sparks of fireworks exploded high and far above them as they watched on. Colorful streaks in contrast to the star background, Justin welcomed the new year, glad he was sat with Blink. He was a boy who was glad to have found someone like Blink, someone he finally believed was seeing him for who he was.

Someone that he could talk and listen to without feeling so useless.

He looked from the fireworks still exploding in the sky to the girl beside him. Her usual green orbs were reflecting the different colors in the sky, her nearly black curls furling in the chilled wind and the tip of her slightly freckled nose reddening from the cold.

And when her head turned to him, her eyes squinting in laughter as she stretched her neck to kiss him quickly, "You're supposed to be watching the fireworks," he knew he was definitely falling.

In all honesty, he may have already.

x x x x x x x

Blink sighed heavily as Justin began swinging their joined hands back and forth.

She wanted so badly to enjoy the start of the new year as much as he was. But she couldn't help but feel like with Shane released and her father's men still waiting to snatch her at some point, that all her bad news was following her into the new year.

Justin stopped suddenly, pulling her to an abrupt halt. Spinning her quickly, she huffed when her front crashed into his. Ushering her hair behind both of her ears, his eyebrows wiggled in the lack of light as he readjusted her scarf for her. "Tell me Blink, what's your New Year resolution?"