060

The two teens had just rounded the last brick building of the school when Blink stumbled

The two teens had just rounded the last brick building of the school when Blink stumbled. The left strap of her book bag snapping like it usually did when she crammed too much into it.

Shane moved towards her instantly, a seeming habit to catch her when she fell even if he was usually the cause to her fall.

Blink pulled her bag with her as she took a cautious step back to increase the distance again. She held her hands up too to add further affect. When she noticed he halted too, she sunk to her knees and threaded the thick strap back through the plastic piece. Tying it into a knot so it could no longer budge, she stood, slinging it over both shoulders as she continued walking.

Shane followed.

"I want you to stay far, far away from me." She looked over her shoulder to give him a quick up and down. "I already have enough people after me. I don't need you too"

He was hesitant for a second, something completely out of his impulsive character. And then, "Are you talking about the men in those suits?"

Blink, too, was silent for a long time. Long enough for the two to reach the edge of the forest, now far away from the other side of campus where her and Justin had left through the gates weeks ago.

A kind of heaven and hell — And she wasn't afraid to admit that the Devil was walking confidently beside her.

"How did you know?"

"I saw them once...Across the quad." He pointed behind where they walked, his memories sucking him back into the past and creating a film over the present like a bad filter. "I saw them take you."

"He snuck up behind you and wrapped his arm around your neck. Yanked you back, then his hand covered your face and while you fought back, it didn't take long till he suffocated you unconscious."

"And you didn't do anything?" She was angry suddenly. She had been his girlfriend. Why hadn't he done anything to help her then? Why hadn't he called for help? However, she was sure no matter how much he liked fighting, she doubted Shane could handle those men.

What she was also sure about was what had been love then seemed more like a lie now. The more she came in contact with her ex the more she realized it was all a hoax. Silly puppy love that only flowed one way.

"Of course I did," he seemed hurt. His dirty blond brows furrowing in hurt.

"I jumped over the brick wall," he pointed back to the knee high red wall too. "Took off like a shot, even screamed your name. Before I could get there though, another one came from nowhere and right hooked me to sleep." He chuckled darkly.

Blink only stared. Her tongue rolling between her teeth, biting down hard. An aid to keep the tears at bay.

"I woke up with Rellik standing over me, asking me who I'd fucked and chucked this time." He rolled his eyes. Rellik was always convinced Shane would cheat and sooner or later one aggressive girl would clock him for it.