031

"Sit down" Justin's voice was stern

"Excuse me?" She laughed, pulling a hand up to her chest as if Justin had said the most insulting thing ever. He hadn't...well, not yet.

"I said sit down" his voice slowed as if he was talking to a defiant, young child. Pulling out the stool next to the one Blink had previously sat in, he motioned to the seat to further incite his message.

"I want to talk about Blink and the way—"

"Dear Lord, the girl's name is Diem." Her mother used the reflection of her whiskey filled glass to fix the nonexistent smudges of her lipstick as she took a seat in the designated spot. "I named her that and she's not going to be called anything but that."

"So let me get this straight," Justin cracked his healing knuckles as he leant against the other side of the counter. "Her name is Diem, but she's chosen to go by Blink. And you're telling me you hate that name so much that you're willing to hit her for being called that?"

"Her friends decided that name best fit her and I was fine with it... Diem was my little girl who was on her way to being something great. Blink, on the other hand, is the failure she now is. I refuse to let the memory of Diem be ruined by Blink now. Blink is nothing and means nothing."

Blinking rapidly, as if that would further help him understand the shitty excuse he was given, Justin fisted his right eye as the two stared unwittingly at each other.

"I can't really say I knew 'Diem'" Justin scrunched his pointer and middle finger to create quotes. "But the Blink I know is the strongest person I've ever met. I can't name one thing I've seen her fail at like you claim you see all the time. She goes to school, works multiple jobs...although I don't approve of some of them, she teaches Althea amazing pieces.

Not to mention she's only seventeen and this is all going on between two completely different states. What the hell more could you want?" His voice was incredulous towards the end, his hands even slapping the edge of the counter in preparation to hear the woman's amazing response.

"She's in that position on her own" her mother shrugged. "She sleeps in that ratty van and dresses in those horrendous clothes all to attend a school that she's been failing her classes in since freshman year. She's a stripper for christ sake... how lost must you be to be a stripper at seventeen?"

It was like a bad case of literary satire. Her mother somehow found a way to mock all the things troubling Blink in her life. No matter if she worked at a nightclub or slept in a broken-down van, she was pulling off things that Justin couldn't ever imagine handling on his own.

"So you've never thought of maybe letting her stay in her own house where her family lives? You've never thought about helping pay for her school so she doesn't have to work at a club or hustle on the street for a few quick bucks? You've never thought about buying her clothes that aren't so worn or torn?"