1.11

Upon reentry to the cave, Batman had already discovered the truth and complications of our mission. He congratulated us on our lucky success; however, a five-page essay on our individual errors was apparently necessary. Even in school, I never had an assignment so harsh.

My hands strangled the air. "Why does Batman have to be so," I huffed and slouched as I threw myself on the couch beside one of my many new partners, "so Batman?"

"He's always like that," Dick whispered, his arm resting on the spine of the green couch behind me. Now in his civilian clothes, he patted me on the shoulder. I flinched from the sudden spark of pain-- a reminder from my first official mission-- but tried my best to send him a toothless smile to ensure I was okay.

Though I was shot with the arrow only hours earlier, my back was still healing; at this point, one of the few powers I wish I had was instant regeneration.

We were crowded in the main room, the Team and I fully changed from our suits. Shivering at the coldness of Robin's mentor, I broke the silence like glass. "I was raised by villains and antiheroes, and I've never had to face anything scarier than him."

Finding it more humorous than intended, Wally screeched and fell off the couch, his body convulsing with jolts of laughter which only added fire to the flame. I clutched my stomach, the muscles doing rolls as I laughed harder.

I watched as Dick stood up, flattening his hoodie, and motioned for me to follow. He led me through the maze of corridors and to a completely white room: the medical bay. Walls so white they blinded eyes caged us, the tiles of the floor a marble gray, and the ceiling blended in so well that no one would know where one or the other began or ended. 

Three set up gurneys sat parallel to the others against the far wall across from a long steel row of sinks. Cabinets of the monotonous color protruded from above, and Dick frantically searched through them, opening and closing the next rapidly.

"Take off your shirt," he demanded rather forthwith.

"Excuse me?" I choked on my spit and coughed, taken off guard.

"Your back, I mean," he corrected himself, refusing to return his gaze to me as he continued to scout the cabinets and drawers beneath the countertop. "I need to treat your back."

"Ah," I silently mouthed and nodded. 

Reluctantly, I lifted the cotton fabric over my head and used it to cover my chest. Just because I was particularly fond of Dick didn't mean I trusted him, a teenage boy, with me, a nearly half-naked teenage girl.

An icy breeze hit my bare back as he approached from behind. A sigh escaped his lips and he muttered, "I'm sorry for this."

The familiar metal clip unlatched and I gasped, straightening my posture so the bra wouldn't fall. Desperately struggling to seize the runaway straps, I huddled behind the crumpled t-shirt. Heart pumping with venom and shock and not wanting to draw too much attention from the others down the hall, I whisper-shouted, "Dude! You literally just unclipped my bra!"

"Why do you think I apologized?" he asked in a 'duh' manner.

"Don't you think you should ask someone first?" My voice sounded like a muffled high-pitched toddler's.

He shrugged and began to dab a cold, soaked cotton ball on the wound. Stinging pricks shot out like vines from the center but passed within a second, the cycle restarting each time. My erratic heart wasn't calming any time soon. As soon as he finished, my fingers began to fiddle with the clip, trying to reinstate my security, but the world had other plans. Suddenly, the door flew open.