2.9

Remaining in the dark, the sound of birds chirping echoed outside. A chill swept over my legs, forcing me to huddle them against my chest in reflex. I inhaled deeply through my nose, breathing in the cool morning air. I felt around the bed for anything to grab hold of, eyelids still shut tight.

Nothing.

Peeking just a bit, the sunlight through the open curtains was enough to blind me. I glanced sideways, expecting a body or two but, once again, feeling nothing. No one was in here except for me. My face fell, the small smile replaced with a frown.

The distant sound of whispers could be heard from downstairs. I slowly removed the thin sheets from my body and encouraged myself to get out of bed. Everyone knows that waking up is the most difficult thing in the universe; don't deny it.

Creaking the door ajar and slipping through the small crack, I silently stalked toward the origin of the noises, not surprised as I entered the extremely busy lounge. Dozens of people scattered across the beautiful stainless wooden tiles.

Alfred has obviously been busy, was the first thing that came to mind.

Although none wore costumes, bravery and valiance radiated from each and every one of them, almost as if saying, "I'll help your grandma cross the road after I stop a jewel thief from robbing a bank!"

"Help!" a girl shrieked, causing me to whip my head in that direction, curious if she was hurt. These heroes did a number on me. "She's going to slaughter all of us. We'll end up like her parents. Dead. Our blood on her hands. But she's probably used to it. Right, (y/n)?" She cackled.

My heart stopped in my chest as I heard those words, thinking I lost those thoughts over a decade ago. I glanced sideways, finding Barbara Gordon pointing at me, her fake pout slowly twisting into a sinister smirk. I think I'd rather take my chances with the Joker.

"Barbara," Dick warned nervously.

"What?" She asked innocently before, yet again, turning to face me, venom lacing every consonant and vowel of each of her next words. "At least I'm not a killer."

I didn't understand why she hated me so much. No matter where I went, my past always seemed to haunt me. No matter how hard I tried, I still couldn't seem to fit in, even though I was one of the original members of the Team and began as a 'do-gooder' years before she had. But did I say anything along the lines of my true feelings. No, of course not. Then it hit me.

How did she know? I found myself asking. I only told one person and he...

I searched the room, my eyes not having to travel far for he was, where? Right next to her, shock plastered across his flawless features.

"Traitor!" I screamed at him, the weather outside beginning to storm. I ran up to him and slapped him hard, right across his lying face that nearly sickened me at the sight. Thunder boomed and lightning struck the ground outside.

"(y/n), I--" Dick tried to explain, but I wouldn't dare let him make me feel worse. For all I'd known him, he'd raised me up, made me feel special and important, only to break me down.

"Don't," I fought, having no emotion left in my voice. My tone was as cold as stone. Everyone was taken aback by my reaction, gasping in astonishment, although I was unsure why. It wasn't unusual for the Dick Grayson to piss off a member of the female species. Red clouded my vision.

Fighting back the tears, I stormed out of the kitchen, completely unsure of where I would end up, but completely okay with it as long as it was far away from here. My step-by-step pace gradually increased to a sprint. So I raced away from my fears, just like I always had. That is, until I ran into a hard wall, literally.