2.11

Dick Grayson

"I can't believe he peeked under your mask," I shouted at Bruce, his demeanor ten times calmer than mine. "That is so not cool."

"It's Superman's way of saying he knows where to find me if he wants to," Batman explained, a hint of mischief in his tone. "I'd like to even that playing field."

Just as he finished his sentence, Bruce sharply turned the wheel and the vehicle shot skidding down the road with a screech. Into a sewage tunnel he drove, and ahead stood the famous Wayne Enterprises. We arrived in a steel based warehouse similar to and much smaller than the Batcave back at the manor. Monitors and other electrical equipment laid the foundation of the establishment.

"This is the new tech lab?" I asked, amazed at the different weapons and gadgets that laced the walls. "Kickin'."

Out of nowhere, a banging noise sounded our mental alarms. Then another and another. Straight ahead, the rusted steel door busted off of its hinges, and dust spread everywhere. A giant metal Batman burst through the cloud of dirt and approached us. Just when I was about to lunge at it, Bruce spoke up.

"Having fun?" he asked, a smile as clear as daylight spread across his face.

The robot pressed the emblem on his suit and out came none other than Lucius Fox, his hair as gray as ever. "A blast," he laughed. He wore his usual black overcoat and bow-tie to cover a bland-colored vest.

Lucius began to walk off, leading us through the maze of technology. Batman fell into step beside him as I trailed behind, still in a daze of how awesome this place was. I heard a rumor about a secret repository from Tim but never saw it. For all I knew, it was false.

"You've been busy, Lucius," Batman complimented, enjoying the new gadgets.

"You said you wanted to be prepared for another alien invasion," the skilled engineer explained as we passed huge robots and weapons. "These are just prototypes, but I'd say we're making headway." I tried not to drown them out, but something caught my eye, making me stray away from the tour.

Through the corner of my eye, a black object with a deep blue section stood out. I stopped in front of it and my eyes lit up with joy. 

"Whoa," I said in astonishment, staring at the rather large gadget. A blue bird sat in the center, wings extended. "This has got to be for me." I turned around to face Batman and Lucius. "It's a jet-pack, right? Please tell me it's a jet-pack!" My hands clasped together as I practically jumped up and down like a kid on Christmas morning.

"A jet-pack and rocket launcher," Lucius confirmed.

"Yes!" I shouted, pumping my fist. I may have just turned twenty, but I was still as immature as ever.

Lucius began to speak directly to Bruce whose cowl remained hooded. "I know you didn't come for a tour. What's up?"

Swiftly, Bruce pulled a green object out of his pocket and lifted it to intercept our view. "I need this gift-wrapped in lead."

"Fascinating," Lucius stated as he held the object to his eye, inspecting the green gem.

The kryptonite.

Not being able to wait any longer, I strapped the jet-pack onto my back and sped through the air, flying toward Bruce as he began typing on a large monitor.

"What're you lookin' at?" I asked him, steadying the engine and floating behind his dragging cape.

"Metropolis," Batman responded, once again zero emotion in his voice.