2.20

I was thankful that I could feel my limbs once more. The tingling in my fingers disappeared and hearing returned to normal. It seemed as though my life was always in the dark, or at least this past week or so. I ended almost every day with my eyes closing and not knowing if I'd wake up or not. But I was still here, so that was a pretty great sign.

"The good news is that her cells are regenerating as they should be," a voice filled the room.

"But?" someone said, waiting for the atrocity.

"But she was drugged. And it wasn't simply by accident," the first voice finished. "The molecule I found in her system was arsenic. It's a heavy metal and a natural component of the earth's crust, but highly toxic in its organic form, and affects many cell enzymes, which disrupts metabolism and DNA repair. Though she seems to be all right. Is there any way she could have ingested it, maybe by food or drink?"

"Someone injected something into me," I insisted with a heavy head. "I felt a needle."

"Do you remember what he looked like?" he asked while grabbing a slip of paper and a thin, blue ballpoint pen.

I shook my head.

"Well, not all of the arsenic has exited your system, but one trip to the restroom should suffice. You're free to go," he smiled sadly. "But I better not see you around here for at least a week."

Dick grinned, "I hope not, too. Let's go, (y/n)." He placed a palm on the small of my back and walked me out of the infirmary, probably waiting for me to faint. Apparently, I was pretty good at it, some say the best. "We gotta get to the Batcave. Bruce is probably there."

"There's a zeta-tube around this corner," I pointed and he nodded. mumbling a 'great' as we ventured off.

The lights of the cavern flickered on as we stepped into the Batcave. A single computer screen remained lit across the way. "Why is it so dark?" I whispered to Dick.

"Because I like to work in the dark," Bruce's voice echoed behind me and I jumped in surprise.

"I think all of the arsenic is gone now," I muttered, rubbing my thighs together.

"You'll get used to it," Dick breathed into my ear.

"What are you two here for?" Bruce asked as he strode around the cave, swiping random gadgets and placing them on separate tables.

"Why can't I just visit my--"

"A snake tattoo," I cut to the point, stepping forward. "What do you know about a snake tattoo on the left wrist?"

"It's the East Side Dragons," Dick confirmed, lost in his thoughts. "I thought they were dead, though. Or at least in hiding."

"Apparently not." Bruce continued his search. "I guess when they're not fighting dogs, they run a boat club out by the bay, Excalibur. I've been wanting to check it out for weeks. Now would be the perfect time, too. Get three-- no, four-- teammates, preferably girls, and they have to sing well."

"I don't see why--"

"Just do it, Dick," Bruce ordered. "And sooner than later."

"All right," he assured. "How about M'gann. She can manipulate her vocal cords. Then you may need Zatanna," Dick stated with disgust and disinterest. "She'll probably be able to cast a charm or something on her voice. And Artemis and (y/n). They both sing really well."

"Excuse me?" I backed away. As soon as I heard my name, he had my complete and undivided attention. "I'm not going anywhere near a group of people that drugged me. And Zatanna is coming? Make that two groups."